Monday, February 8, 2021

Tuzigoot


“The American Indian is of the soil, whether it be the region of forests, plains, pueblos, or mesas. He fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings. He once grew as naturally as the wild sunflowers, he belongs just as the buffalo belonged….” – Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Sioux Chief

The beauty of Luther's words warms the soul. I would love to feel the desert heat sinking into my bones, right now, instead of sub-zero temperatures. Last summer, we visited Tuzigoot National Monument in the parched landscape near Clarksdale, Arizona. Tuzigoot means crooked waters in Tonto Apache. The ruin site spans 110 rooms, in a pueblo overlooking the Verde Valley. The Sinagua people built Tuzigoot around 1125-1400 CE. Interesting fact: trapdoors and ladders were used to access many of the rooms. See the photo below. As always, make tracks!












“Being Indian is an attitude, a state of mind, a way of being in harmony with all things and all beings. It is allowing the heart to be the distributor of energy on this planet; to allow feelings and sensitivities to determine where energy goes; bringing aliveness up from the Earth and from the Sky, putting it in and giving it out from the heart.”  – Brooke Medicine Eagle











 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

Duwan @MakeLikeAnApeman said...

Nice! I have been to a good many of the Native American ruins on the Southwest but have not made it to this one yet.

It is amazing to think about these amazing ancient civilizations. How they lived their daily lives, their communities. And the fantastic expansive views they lived in.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It's wonderful that places like this are preserved for future generations to learn from and enjoy.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I'm very thankful that we have the National Park Service to preserve ancient sites like this one. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a beautiful place!!

DJan said...

I love this place, and especially those two quotes. Thank you for the gift you gave me here. :-)

Shiju Sugunan said...

That's a beautiful place with lovely views. Lovely pics too!

Angie said...

Sharon - fabulous quotes. We could all learn to be more in tune with the Earth. Thanks for sharing this perspective and historical site with everyone at Mosaic Monday!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Sharon Wonderful to know these ancient ruins are being preserved and what wonderful scenery surrounding them

Tanza Erlambang said...

the ruins sound the great culture and civilization behind them....
thank you for sharing the photos and interesting story about Indian.

Have a wonderful day

Stewart M said...

What an amazing building - I'd love to see it.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Peabea Scribbles said...

Great quote. I've often thought would have been fun to live uninhibited as the Indians did before all this civilization. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

Susie of Arabia said...

Awesome ruins. I lived in Arizona for many years, but never made it there.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love all of this ... I too would like to feel the desert heat seep into my bones about now. (Or even the subtropical more humid heat of Florida) .

Kalpana said...

Thank you for this virtual tour of the museum. Gorgeous photos.

Dawn said...

I love places like this, makes you really think about all that we have and take for granted. I also wonder about the people from that time.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Mary Kirkland said...

I love the little lizard picture. You took some really great pictures.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love that opening quote. Such an amazing culture, and we can learn so much from it. I'm constantly looking for Native American artifacts on my hikes!

betty-NZ said...

Thanks for sharing these memories with us!

I'm so glad to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

Amy Johnson said...

What an amazing place. I'd love to see it someday. I too would love "to feel the desert heat sinking into my bones, right now, instead of sub-zero temperatures". It's so cold here in Wisconsin!