Monday, September 28, 2020

Garden of the Gods. Etc...


Union Square after dark.

You don't need missionaries in Colorado; you got Colorado.

Trey Parker



Drinks at Tupelo's and a damn good meal.



Denver energy markers. Or swirly, magic, manhole covers. 



Union Square in Denver, Colorado.


Twitter art installations. A Denver hotel has a whole row of tweeting birds that greet elevator patrons.



Behind my husband is Pike's Peak.


That's one heck-of-a-name. I've seen plenty of Red Rock over the years that was bigger, better, redder. How did this tiny spit-fire of Red Rock get the best darn name this side of the Rockies?

How the park got its name...

It was August of 1859 when two surveyors started out from Denver City to begin a townsite, soon to be called Colorado City. While exploring nearby locations, they came upon a beautiful area of sandstone formations. M. S. Beach, who related this incident, suggested that it would be a "capital place for a beer garden" when the country grew up. His companion, Rufus Cable, a "young and poetic man", exclaimed, "Beer Garden! Why it is a fit place for the Gods to assemble. We will call it the Garden of the Gods." It has been so called ever since.



Garden of the Gods may not be as grand as Utah's Zion, or as astounding as Arches National Park, but it was worth a look-see. Wander with me...



Pike's Peak framed.













I constructed a laboratory in the neighborhood of Pike's Peak. The conditions in the pure air of the Colorado Mountains proved extremely favorable for my experiments, and the results were most gratifying to me.

Nikola Tesla







 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

26 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The thing about Garden of the Gods, besides it’s great name, is that it is a City Park. A city park. There are people in some parts of the US who would never see anything like this ever. And yet here it’s just Colorado Springs local hangout. Gorgeous pictures, thank you for the memories and for hosting!

DJan said...

Again, I am just gobsmacked by the pictures you take, Sharon. Although I've been there myself, I would have simply walked by many of these treasures that you capture for us all to enjoy. Great job, as usual. :-)

eileeninmd said...

hello,

It is a beautiful park, love the rock formations and views.
Great series of photos. Enjoy your day, have a great week!

Handmade in Israel said...

The Garden of the Gods looks amazing! That is one beautiful manhole cover.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Garden of the Gods is indeed beautiful. Thank you for not only great photos but the backstory as well.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It really is a place everyone should visit at some time in their lives! Beautiful in every season!

Gone Tropical said...

Gorgeous photographs of the Garden of the Gods, this place sure looks out of this world! I have to add this to my want-to-travel-to list :)

dee Nambiar said...

Lovely pictures. Garden of the Gods is a wonderful place to walk in. It's fun trying to spot the different red rock formations in it.

And you're right -- that's a really nice name for the park. :)

Tanza Erlambang said...

wonderful images ...love to visit one day.
Thank you for sharing beautiful photos.

Have a great day.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

We always bring our Colorado visitors to see the Garden of the Gods. It is a wonderful place to walk around all year long. We love hiking up the Siamese Twins formation and taking photos of Pike's Peak through the natural window.

rupam sarma said...

Amazing pics

Fun60 said...

Fabulous photos and scenery. Love the manhole covers.

Elena Alice said...

Wow, this looks like a memorable trip with gorgeous scenery. I will have to add Garden of the Gods to my bucket list!

Dawn said...

Beautiful photos and such interesting terrain. Amazing.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Powell River Books said...

Union Square has a really interesting architecture. Garden of the Goods looks like a great place to visit. Love the weather worn red rocks. - Margy

DUTA said...

Amazing red rocks! I particularly like the one your husband is on it, the ones he's contemplating with interest.

Yvonne said...

I lived near there for 7 years, and while it may not be on the scale of huge places, it does hold its own jutting out of an otherwise ordinary area of beautiful mountains and trees. Your photos are all very lovely.

Pisi Prkl said...

I love the first pic. Very impressive Low Light Photography. Less (light) is more.

Peabea Scribbles said...

Colorado has to be the most visited place in America or I think it would. Great photos, and love the name.

Angie said...

Sharon - a gorgeous location. We have driven by it many times on our way to Breckenridge and other points west, but have never visited. Thanks for the tour. But I have to say I had a hard time scrolling past those two beverages! I could use one of those right about now! Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday!

betty-NZ said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome place! I was there about 40+ years ago and it's nice to see it again.

It's great to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!! Thanks for linking up.

Anni said...

Sharon: I'm so sorry to be so late in paying you a visit this week. I've been quite busy. But, I want to thank you for linking in this past week at I'd Rather B Birdin'...and know I love all the photos you shared!

fredamans said...

Those manhole covers are pretty neat!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Even the manhole covers are artistic! I would like to visit Garden of the Gods someday. Love the rock formations!!

Mary Kirkland said...

That looks like such an interesting place to visit. I love your pictures.

Lydia C. Lee said...

What an interesting place!