Monday, December 30, 2019

Travel Tree



The mysterious Crystal Skull: a completely unconventional tree topper commemorating Belize in 2013. The legend of the glassy cranium originates from the Mayan ruins of Lubaantun.

I've been making travel ornaments for 24 years. The first ornament celebrated our first big trip together: Maui. Unfortunately, some of the odd-ball ornaments I've made over-the-years don't make the cut anymore. Some - unlike precious travel memories - have faded from Christmas favor. My tiny trees are loaded. Now, I only have room for my favorite pieces. For example: I didn't hang - literally - creepy Capuchin. See below... 


Creepy Monkey face has been retired.


My quiet and calm Quetzal from 2009 didn't make the cut either. Maybe next year.

These did...




Nicaragua: 2017

Sunset over San Juan del Sur. The Jesus Christ statue in silhouette watches over the city. 





Costa Rica: 2008

 I was so ambitious in 2008 that I painted both sides! No scary Capuchin's this year. Cute critters instead. 



The Panama City skyline represented our 2016 trip to the tip of Central America.



Guatemala: 2018 

Two volcanoes simmer above beautiful Lake Atitlan. Guatemala has 37 volcanoes!


Costa Rica: 2019

We always see Scarlet Macaws flying over the Osa Peninsula. They eat in the tree tops, talking and squawking. Once you hear their boisterous chatter, you'll never forget it.



Nicaragua: 2014. 

An explosive year immortalized with glitter and beads. Nicaragua has 19 volcanoes. 


Can you guess where we're going in 2020? A food and drink paradise, full of Mayan ruins, turquoise cayes, hidden caves and jungle chatter.

You'll find Belikin beer in Belize! I can't wait.  

Happy New Year!

The Awesome Links:




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

12 comments:

DJan said...

What fabulous ornaments. No other tree in the world like yours, Sharon! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

DUTA said...

Original travel ornaments!
I like the one with the two volcanoes simmering over the lake in Guatemala.

Happy New Year full of traveling adventures!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your ornaments are darlingly cute. You inspire me to make ornaments depicting special moments. :-) Cheers to a Grand 2020!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What a great idea! I've often bought ornaments from my travels, but making them would be more fun. I enjoyed seeing yours.

Lady Fi said...

I love all your ornaments!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great idea to make the travel ornaments! It brings back all the good memories of your trips! Happy New year!

Angie said...

Sharon - we tend to collect ornaments on our trips, and it is a super memory jogger when putting up the tree. You have taken it to a whole new level by making your own decorations!

In May, we're going to Grand Cayman, our favorite beach getaway. Looking forward to some scuba and other fun in the sun!

Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday, and Happy New Year to you!

Linda Hensley said...

What a great idea. I like them all, including your rejects :) Wishing you a happy, healthy, and successful New Year!

Shiju Sugunan said...

That's a really special tree! Wish you a satisfying new year!

Mary Kirkland said...

I love your ornaments. Happy New Year! I wish you and your family a wonderful 2020!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a fabulous idea ... those ornaments are wonderful.

Sue (this n that) said...

Oh wow, love all your art - quirky, fun and unique - well done Sharon!
Here's to 2020 ... heaps of travel and adventures for you both xx