Monday, November 18, 2019

Wild Florida




Day 12





Day 13

An osprey booked a balcony next door. (I know he slept there because his head was tucked at sunrise) 



Day 14

Wild pigs! They trotted uncomfortably close to me at Crew trails. I only had my cell phone (no zoom) and snapped this when they retreated. Whew. 


Day 15


Day 16



Day 17


Day 18

Seven more days. 

Last week's highlight was the osprey - the next balcony over. But observing all wingspans from the 12th floor is a birder's delight. One night, at sunset, an osprey approached the deck, hovering impossibly close on a thermal, turning with a big fish in toe, his silhouette back-lite by an explosion of color. (If only I'd had a camera cocked and ready!) Eagles soar faster than all others, I've discovered. Pelicans draft and vultures tip and float, soar. Black tipped wood storks and Ibis fly in flocks. Mockingbirds call from the trees below. White Egrets and Great Blue Herons stroll along the sand. Sand Pipers scuttle along.

Just like me. 

Have you heard of Postcrossing? Find out how you can connect with international pen-pals, over at Chorus of the Crows 


The Awesome Links:










You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

21 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I never knew there were wild pigs in Florida, Sharon! Observing so many birds up close must have been a treat.

Amy Johnson said...

Such beautiful photography. I would have been terrified to see those wild pigs.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the Osprey and beautiful views of the sky! I have seen the wild pigs in Florida. Great photos! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I can tell your having a feast of fun among the different birds. All your photos are wonderful. I like the angles you take. The osprey at sunrise, wow!

Powell River Books said...

We have osprey near our cabin. They nest on tall snags in the lake where the eggs and chicks can be easily defended, and where the parents can see fish below the surface for the taking. - Margy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's one of the great things about being in Florida...the number and variety of birds here! The wild pigs...not so much! I have seen them a few times but they are very scary! Hope you enjoy your week! Beautiful photos!

DJan said...

You have such an eye for line and graceful swirls. I love the story about the osprey, too. :-)

Angie said...

Sharon - wonderful views of Florida - my favorite is the cormorant perched on the driftwood. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Amazing pics!

Lady Fi said...

Wonderful shots!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I almost stumbled over a wild pig at a Florida RV Park years ago (not the one where we winter now)....quite startling to say the least. Now I know they might be there and don’t jump quite as high when I see them occasionally. .... lovely to see Ospreys and eagles from your balcony. Getting excited to get there soon!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you for the beauty you shared!

Lydia C. Lee said...

Those sunrise shots are fabulous! The light is amazing!

Rajlakshmi said...

what a lovely collection of photos. The sunrise photo is absolutely incredible.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful captures

Powell River Books said...

The wild pigs remind me of the first date I had with my husband. He flew us to Catalina Island in a friend's plane that he borrowed. We hiked from the airport to a bluff overlooking the ocean. We didn't see them but could hear wild pigs running in the brush. We knew it was pigs from the warning signs. Fortunately, we didn't have a problem, with the pigs or our relationship. We've been married for 37 years. - Margy

betty-NZ said...

Interesting variety of lovely images! They are all quite intriguing. Glad to see things that are off the beaten track.

I'm happy to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!


My Corner of the World

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

Stunning sunset

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I've never come across wild pigs before. I wonder if they can be aggressive? Wonderful post with some great photos. Have a nice weekend!

Lady Fi said...

We have a lot of wild boar here in Sweden and they can be very aggressive. Your shots are gorgeous!

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww...wild pigs...amazing...they are not run away.
Fantastic photos...love all