Monday, September 9, 2019

The White Dove of the Desert




Mission San Xavier del Bac

In the late 1600's, Father Kino arrived on horseback, entering the Wa:k village of the Tohono O'odham. The quiet and giving Desert people were seasonal farmers, growing Indian corn, beans, squash, lentils and melons. They also utilized native plants like saguaro fruits, mesquite tree beans, cholla buds and mesquite candy. They still weave beautiful baskets, that hold all matter of wares.

San Xavier Mission was built in the 1700's in New Spain. It is a National Historic Landmark and the oldest intact European structure in the state. Which state? Have you guessed where the White Dove is located? 

Follow my footsteps to find out...







The inside was like a gilded castle. I could almost hear the whispers: two-hundred years of silent prayers en-route to the heavens. 










I pray for a healthy life full of discovery and travel. 

The fire burns bright in Tucson, Arizona.


The Awesome Links:






You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I knew where you were as soon as I saw the title because we spent two very enjoyable Snowbird seasons in Tucson. I’ve posted about the White Dove of the Desert myself but it’s been way too long ago...and your pictures are much better. Last time we were there, there was an extensive renovation of the outside going on... I hope that project was completed successfully. Thank you for the great memories.

Mary in Boulder said...

I guessed New Mexico. Clearly I need to travel more! Lovely photos.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I lived in New Mexico years ago and loved seeing these photos! What amazing sights. Makes me want to go back again soon.

Photo Cache said...

This is beautiful mission.

<a href="https://calart.blogspot.com>Worth a Thousand Words</a>

Hootin Anni said...

I lived in Tuscon! This mission is beautiful as are your photos.

Angie said...

Sharon - the ornate interior of the church stands in stunning contrast to the pure white exterior. I love them both. Thanks for sharing this Historic Landmark with everyone at Mosaic Monday!

Lorrie said...

What a beautiful church - the white tower against the blue sky is gorgeous!

Powell River Books said...

So ornate and beautiful. - Margy

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely photos!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Beautiful inside and out Sharon. I am just about to go to Australia for 6 weeks but have all my post scheduled in (bit of a marathon that was!) Unfortunately I will not be commenting while I am away but as often as I can will look at bloggers posts.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

It reminded me of the missions here in California. Of the missions I've visited, not one comes close to the ornate altar of this one.

betty-NZ said...

What a stunning place! I am always amazed how places like this are still standing, and so beautifully!

Thanks for your link on 'My Corner of the World'! It's lovely to see you this week!


My Corner of the World

Sandi said...

Amazing!!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I did not guess Tucson. What a beautifully ornate church. One I would like to visit. Enjoy your weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great photos, Yours are the first photos I have seen of the interior. This has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Linda Hensley said...

I love that dragonfly! I failed your quiz. I just guessed one of those rectangle states out west :)