Monday, February 18, 2019

Eye in the Sky


The Isle of Ometepe: twin volcanoes - the simmering Concepcion and Maderas -  rise 5,000 feet above the island. Ometepe is located in the middle of lake Nicaragua. 

This sight was a major score from my seat! The guy in front of me closed his window before take-off and never saw a darn thing. 

After flying high in the sky over Central America, for twelve consecutive years, I'm (sort of, but not really) a geography expert. What surprises me, though, is the other eyeballs bouncing around the cabin. They're glued to their kids, phones, screens and books. Often times, as I stated above, window shades closed completely. Obviously, sometimes, there's not much to see. However, it can be amazing outside the tiny oval peep-hole: a different kind of screen. Follow my eyes around the skies...



It's hard to see, but in the middle of this scene, Volcan Mombacho rises 4,000 feet above the city of Granada, Nicaragua. The exotic islands forming a "c" shape, curving into the lake, were created from a volcanic eruption.



Below my window, is Apoyo Lagoon. A crystal clear, deep lake formed in the crater of an extinct volcano. You'll also find this in Nicaragua.



Last November, closer to home, I spotted my condo-rental off the coast of Florida. It's in the lower right corner.



The salty surroundings of Salt Lake City.



Salt Lake City topography. So cool!



Unknown mountain range in Central America.



A large piece of earth, somewhere, in Central America.



Another, speckled coastline in Central America.



I've seen this formation several times over the years. It looks like an amoeba. But it's really a reef near Mexico. 



Look at those volcanoes! I think we were flying over Honduras. 



A tantalizing archipelago. Somewhere in Central America. 



Last year, a volcanic view over Guatemala City. I think it pays to keep your eyes in the sky! 

The Awesome Links:






Inlinkz Link Party

11 comments:

DJan said...

Just fabulous! Thank you for taking the time to look out the window and take these pictures, and then share them with me!! :-)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You've certainly had your share of beautiful views!

DUTA said...

Volcanoes fascinate me. As for sights from high in the sky, I'm usually busy praying to God that the plane arrives safely.
Kudos to you for the stunning pictures taken during the flight! Thanks for sharing.

Lady Fi said...

I love looking out of plane windows! Lovely shots.

Sue (this n that) said...

lol, it also amazes me how some people have such little interest in our amazing world... look at all you've captured from a tiny plane window! Beautiful and fascinating :D)

KB said...

Stunning photos. I love the views from those tiny planes

Andrea said...

Those are awesome scenes and really very informative. In my travels, even local ones, i never get tired of looking at the window with ready camera. Everything is spectacular for me even if i've seen them and clouds are always present and views of the landscape are not often clear.

Peabea Scribbles said...

Such beautiful above photos.

Photos by Stan said...

Great shots, Sharon!! Give thanks for a good seat and a clean window!! Love the volcanoes and especially the archipelago!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Cool shots! I actually get a little irritated with people in window seats who close the blind. Even when not in a window seat, I like to look out and I feel less claustrophobic. Love that amoeba reef... looks like a diver's paradise!

betty-NZ said...

I usually just fly over the same places when I do fly but I still take photos, too! It's amazing how many people miss out on the beauty below. Thanks for linking up to My Corner of the World!