Monday, January 22, 2018

The Ancient Number Seven...


A bird's eye view of the Mayan ruins of Tikal. We repeated this foot shot from our visit many years ago. Seven years perhaps?


Can a number have power? Numbers definitely have special meanings. If the number seven does hold a certain sway, I hope that the seven sacred (at least to me) photos shown here will bring me good luck. I posted these on Instagram, and they only brought me a new onslaught of cyber morons that use the follow/ unfollow method to grow their account. I love sharing travel photos, but I hate that so many people on social media lack integrity as fellow humans - they waste my time. But, the fact that I posted a few vacation photos on the vexing app, made it quick and easy for me to get back on the blogging track. 

It's a snowy day in hell - I mean Minnesota - and we just got back from glorious Guatemala. We saw mystical Mayan ruins, towering volcanoes and more new bird species than any of our ten previous Central America trips. Guatemala is a beautiful place. A country packed with soaring vistas, miles of uncharted jungle, Mayan history and friendly, loving people. At one of the places we stayed, the owner gave my husband a hug. Instagram users could learn a thing or two from the people of Guatemala.  



A room with a view in bustling, vibrant, yummy Antigua.



Peaceful waters at Lake Peten.



Coffee for miles near the cloud forest of Coban. (although, ironically, there's not a cloud in sight)



A red portal in Flores. 



A bucket list sunset at Lake Atitlan.



Temple 5 at Tikal.

There are seven platforms above, cradling Temple five. The number seven permeates the Maya culture like clockwork. Click on the number Seven for a more thorough numerical explanation.

Today, I just wish I could close my eyes, count to seven and be transported back to the jungles of Tikal. It was magical at dusk, when spider monkeys, large green parrots, falcons and toucans outnumbered tourists. The chatter of birds was only overpowered by the feral roar of the howler monkey. 

There will be many and more to come in 2018 about Guatemala. I took more photos than any other trip with my new camera. 

The Awesome Links:


16 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I have always wanted to visit the ancient Mayan ruins - and you've been twice! Don't think I'd return home until spring.

NCSue said...

Fascinating.
Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/homemade-bagels.html

Unknown said...

Sharon, I love looking at your photos. They bring me so much joy seeing all the places that I would love to visit. Keep on traveling.

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous photography and what a delightful journey for you and lucky for us to see such beautiful photographs ~ Numerology can be fascinating ~

Happy Week to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka, (A Creative Harbor)

Photo Cache said...

Guatemala sounds like the perfect place to be at this time. Lovely photos so far.

Worth a Thousand Words

Ruth said...

Oh my! Your photos are gorgeous. I have been to Guatemala and it is my favorite country in Central America. I wish I have stayed there for a longer period of time. Hope to go back soon and visit new places. I only went to Antigua and Tikal.

Lady Fi said...

Fabulous colours and shots! (Makes a nice change from all the cold.)

D.Nambiar said...

Guatemala looks so inviting.
Beautiful images, here.

DJan said...

I love that sunset picture! And I did visit Guatemala many decades ago, and I remember to this day the ruins in Tikal. I have a Guatemalan friend who will be going back home for month-long visit with her family. I'll miss her but think of her in a beautiful place through your pictures. :-)

A Colorful World said...

Sorry about the Instagram nuts! Oh, your photos are magical! How I would love to stow away in your suitcase on some of these trips! The photos are incredible!

Molly said...

Oh my that sunset is something special

Mollyx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Hmmm, I might have to put Guatemala on my bucket list!! Your photos are wonderful.

Sorry you are having such problems on Instagram. I have got to the point where I can spot the frauds a mile away. Anybody that follows me, without saying or liking any photographs. People that have 5000 folllowers and are filling a 100 and they follow me, people who like everything I do and as soon as I follow them they disappear. Plus there are apps that will tell you who has unfollowed you recently.
I like to follow "real people" who post stuff I am interested in.

Timelesslady said...

Glorious Sky.

Photos by Stan said...

The two water images are splendid. I like how the red boat interior complements the red/orange rushes in the water. And, that sunset is simply amazing. It would be hard to find such a superb sky...KUDOS.. The silhouetted tree tops in the foreground look as if they are reaching up to embrace the mountain. Great job!
PS: I don't use Instagram...guess I'm not missing anything..

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Interesting about the number 7, and it certainly could hold special power and meaning... as do your outstanding 7 photos! Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to learning and seeing more Guatemala.

Angie said...

Sharon - these seven photos are stupendous. I could not possible choose a favorite - and now I am sold on a trip to Guatemala. Thanks for sharing!