Monday, June 27, 2022

Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary


We always tour Alturas - nestled in the jungle above Dominical, Costa Rica - during our stay. Here, tourists and volunteers alike can relish a stunning view and help wildlife at the same time. 

Last week, a blog visitor worried that I get too close to the animals and birds I photograph. Since someone stole my camera last year with my kick-ass zoom lens, you won't have to worry about that while surveying this post. I was left with my i-phone and crickets. 

At Alturas, if you get too close to the capuchin monkey enclosure, tiny fingers may throw a rock your way - or worse. 

Follow my feet...







This young lady was not part of the team. She is a lonely, wild squirrel monkey, enthralled with her kin inside the enclosure. 



A peccary.


The whale's tail is a theme in these parts because of the famous Whale's Tail beach in nearby Uvita.


This monkey was so mad at us!



 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wonderful photos, Sharon. I've heard that monkeys can be very territorial! Love that bright green parrot and the kitty using the rock as a pillow. Costa Rico looks so lush and tropical--what a paradise!

I've been using my phone for photos more and more as it is always available and easier, but for macros and zoom my Nikon is the best and I'd be sad to lose it. If I had to invest in a new camera I'd try a smaller mirrorless style that is gaining in popularity.

DUTA said...

Tha cat having a nap - almost human.






VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Cuando he ido al zoológico, siempre me preocupado de no arrimarme demasiado a la jaula de los monos y sobretodo a la de los gorilas. alguno de ellos te puede gastar una broma pesada.
Me gusta mucho la foto de los animales y de la bella Naturaleza, que hay en ese país.
Besos.

DJan said...

Love your animal shots especially that cat! :-)

Lydia C. Lee said...

Wow. Aren't they too cute? I love the monkey but the boar is a cutie too (though they can be scary - we were chased by wild boar in Singapore, of all places!!)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Happy, sleepy cat. purrrrr. I hope the monkeys and the kitty get along. Congratulations on getting your book published. Hip, Hip Hooray!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Nice pics! iphone is better, the camera is small enough to peep through the mesh.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

What a beautiful place.
I love the parrot and the monkeys.

R's Rue said...

Lovely. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Ms Donyarific said...

Love the parrot with its green plume! You can visit mine here.

Light and Voices said...

LOL! The cat with the not so soft pillow made my day. What a character! The monkey was really mad that you were in its' territory. Sorry that your wonderful camera was stolen. How rude! Are you planning on replacing it? Maybe a new door is opening for you.