Monday, April 3, 2017

Fall back/Spring Forward


I thought it would be fun to post some of my last local photos of fall, tailgated by my first photos of spring. Here we are walking in a magical golden forest. A.K.A. Robert's Bird Sanctuary in Minneapolis.




And indeed, we saw birds! The best darn birds the mid-west has to offer. In fact, I just read in the paper that Minnesota has the highest number of nesting pairs in the United States. 





Robert's bird Sanctuary on a vibrant sunny day. 



Sunny fall petals.


Flash forward to spring. We're out and about again. This time we traveled to the wilds of Wisconsin. My old stomping grounds. Shed hunting. This was our only find. 


But we discovered other things. Leftovers from two brutal crime scenes. Bleached skulls, scattered teeth, old bones and lots of matted fur. A deer skeleton. Two in fact. Something was hungry.


I was intrigued by the wiggly skull patterns. 


Quiet beauty. 


I left these for a hunter to discover. 


Spring babies have arrived! We discovered 3 Great Horned Owlets at Lake Hiawatha. Score! Actually, it isn't a secret. The parks have the area blocked off. But I was still able to zoom in and get a shot. My favorite of spring so far. 

"Are you look'in at me?"

The Awesome Links:



18 comments:

DUTA said...

As the cold of winter recedes,the signs of spring make us look around in wonder.
Your post, through your terrific pictures, reminds us that in Nature we find not only beauty (golden forest, birds, flowers..) but also evil, brutality (skulls, deer skeleton..).
Still, we are greatly attracted to Nature as beauty dominates the scene everywhere.

carol l mckenna said...

Creative photos and love the flash back to fall and then to Spring post ~ My favorite is the baby owl photo ~ have never seen one ~ thanks,

Wishing you delightful days in your week ~ ^_^

Linda Hensley said...

I'm all for skipping winter :) Love the owlets photo!

DJan said...

Those are the cutest owls ever! You manage to get some of the best pictures, Sharon. :-)

Lady Fi said...

What utterly beautiful shots.

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the eagles! I have never been able to get such a clear and close photo of eagles in the wild.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty fall colors. I love the eagles and the baby owls.
Great series of photos. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh that baby owl is absolutely amazing. What a wonderful place to walk. Why would you ever want to leave? (Oh, wait..... ) Really seriously it is beautiful. It's good to live somewhere beautiful and it's good to travel.

Ruth said...

You found so many beautiful birds. Those owls are so cute. The bones and antlers you found are a bit creepy. Seems like the area is full of wildlife. #OurWorldTuesday

Andrea said...

Those are magnificent finds in a park! I also wonder why there are stitches-like things on the deer's skull. And those colored leaves, they are the things i might not be able to see in this lifetime, plus some bits of snow i will feel on my bare feet. I am in the tropics, that's the reason.

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous fall! I can't wait to see what it's going to be like here. And your spring shots are very cool! Lovely flowers and birds!

Les Fous du Cap said...

Les petites chouettes sont très mignonnes ;-)
Céline & Philippe

betty-NZ said...

Autumn and spring are fabulous transitional seasons, in my opinion. They have the most beauty for us to admire.

likeschocolate said...

Fantastic photos! Happy Fall to you down under!

Budget Travel Talk said...

Those golden leaved trees are superb. We don't really have autumn colours where I live in the north of Australia

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Cool post!! I too like the golden-leaved trees and great perspective on the one where you are shooting straight up. Have a happy weekend!

Stewart M said...

Nice idea - and good pictures. We are having our first autumn weekend here - I almost had a fire last night - almost!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Pat Tillett said...

Fantastic photos Sharon! I'd say we all scored with this great post. I love owls, their faces remind me cats...