Monday, April 10, 2017

Rivas and Ometepe


When tourists go to Rivas, they are usually headed to the island of Ometepe. But we've already done that. So this year we just admired it from afar. I love taking photos on this rustic, local beach. 



This year, Rivas was our destination. I love driving through the busy town. My husband, not so much. That's because he's driving. At one point, we ended up trapped in a crowded street bazaar. I'm sure cars weren't even supposed to be there. But with all the one ways, people and foreign confusion, it is easy to end up in the wrong spot. Luckily, nobody threw a yucca at us. It kind of reminded me of a movie scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc. I like to imagine we were fleeing from angry Germans, so we drove into a crowded street fair where they were selling olives and exotic spices and were swarmed by helpful locals. They hid our vehicle with their bodies. Later, nuns hid us in the cemetery behind this church. Oh wait, that was another movie.




I thought the architecture was stunning. 



Christ with his open arms makes this post appropriate for Easter weekend. Actually, Christ and one of his flock. 



The real reason we were in Rivas, was to tour the Museo de Antropologiae Historia and Hacienda Ursula. It houses artifacts gathered from the ancient city of Quauhcapolca dating to AD 1000.  (I hope I spelled all of that right. I gathered it from the scribbling in my travel diary.) There was a scattering of interesting objects. But mostly just some ghastly taxidermy. I mean the scariest, creepiest ever!



Outside.


The lovely Hacienda.


A cool artifact. 




I didn't go on what I like to call a "photo safari" in Rivas, but I did capture this graffiti and a little crumbling color. 





Back on the beach, the local buses amused me. 









Number 4 in front of Concepcion.


My favorite photo from our 2017 trip!

Happy Easter!


I posted Christ of the Mercy over the Easter holiday after our first trip to Nicaragua. Visit that post if you are feeling sentimental. Or missed it the first time. 

The Awesome Links:



16 comments:

DUTA said...

Driving a car in a "crowded street bazaar" - you were lucky to get safely out of it.
The architecture of the church in both pictures is indeed stunning.

DJan said...

What fabulous pictures! As usual for you. :-)

carol l mckenna said...

Thanks for a beautiful photo travel tour ~ love the single dory boat photos ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

Pat Tillett said...

Really nice photos Sharon! Love the colorful bus. That boat looks like it's made of concrete (of some type). I really do enjoy the ongoing photo-tours of the great places you've visited. Thanks for that...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love your travel stories and admire that you do things all on your own, no guided tours with name tags.

Ruth said...

Rivas looks like a nice town! I can understand your husband. I get nervous when there and I am not even doing the driving. It feels like the entire world is jumping into your car. The last photo is awesome (and kind of crazy at the same time). #OurWorldTuesday

A Colorful World said...

Fascinating post, and some beautiful photos! Sounds like such an amazing trip!

Sue (this n that) said...

Such a great post Sharon! I love the pigeon on Christ's shoulder - lovely. Beaut to see the alley ways and all kinds of architecture. Colours and life as it is. Bus on the beach too!

Sue (this n that) said...

oh, p.s. I forgot to say .... what a really fabulous header!! superb :D)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love following on your travels and you have shared with us beautiful photographs. Thanks

Les Fous du Cap said...

Joli voyage tout en couleurs ;-)
CĂ©line & Philippe

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

What lovely pictures!

likeschocolate said...

Gorgeous church! Looks like you are having some fun adventures!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love your sense of adventure! I'm glad nobody thru a yucca at you too, LOL!! That would really hurt. Happy Easter.

Budget Travel Talk said...

I love the tiles on the verandah of the Hacienda and had a laugh at your movie metaphors lol.

Stewart M said...

What a great looking part of the world - such a fondness for bold colours as well.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne