Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yummy Southwest Hotdish

It is hard to photograph a hotdish and make it look appealing.  Just saying!  It is also a hard recipe for me to post because I triple my dishes.  But here goes.  I start with around 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni.  Boil until aldente, drain and put in the largest mixing bowl you can find.  Now saute 1 pound of hamburger and 1 onion until browned.  Add to the macaroni.  Now this is an important part.  I used 4 cups blended tomatoes from my freezer/garden.  The fresh taste can't be beat.  But if you use canned be sure to use low sodium. (I sometimes substitute some salsa for part of the 4 cups of tomato)

 Now add 1 can of rinsed black beans and 3 small packages of frozen garden corn.  If you are using purchased corn just add as much as you like. Add what ever chopped sweet or hot peppers you like.  Add 1 jar of processed nacho cheese.  What ever your favorite is. Now a big bunch of chopped cilantro.  You can add a few tsps of chili seasoning if you like.  Stir this big batch of hotdish goodness well.  Then transfer to 3 baking dishes.  I freeze 2 and bake 1.  You can bake it for around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at 350. (The frozen dish usually takes about 1 1/2 hours.  Covered until it thaws out) Then put on some shredded cheese and tortilla chips and bake some more. 

And I always serve it with hot sauce!

P.S.  Be sure to check back next Monday and Wednesday for the berry desserts! 

7 comments:

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

You're making me very hungry. Can't wait for the berry desserts!

Pat Tillett said...

Yum! It looks very good and fairly close to something that we make...

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love you new header!
Here is another of your recipes where I see my mom getting a pen and paper out and taking notes,, in case she wants to make this!
It sounds nummy!
love
tweedles

Ginger said...

sounds yummy! I love all those ingredients together

Linda Hensley said...

I've made something like this before, but I put cheese on top. The berries look tremendous! That's what really gets my Pavlovian responses going :)

SquirrelQueen said...

Hang on a minute, I have to wait until my mouth stops watering from those beautiful raspberries in your header.

This looks like a recipe we would really enjoy. I like the idea of freezing two for future use. Thanks for the recipe Sharon.

Now I going to look at more of those beautiful berries below.

Mary said...

That looks like a quick, good feed...love fast making items. Thanks. Bring on the salsas. M