Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Huevos Rancheros. It's what's for breakfast...and dinner.


The first time I had Huevos Rancheros was on our first trip to Costa Rica.  We were staying at Villas Nicolas in Manuel Antonio.  We stumbled out of bed and headed down to the magical court yard where they served breakfast. The soft morning light filtered through the trees.  And monkeys were playing over head.  When I think of my favorite memories on our vacations, they almost always involve the morning Sun and enjoying a peaceful meal.  The whole day is still ahead of you.

I've had Huevos Rancheros numerous times since then.  And it is always different.  But the way I make it couldn't be simpler.  I just saute onions and peppers in a little olive oil.  Or if you happen to have made bacon the day before...use that pan if you know what I mean.  After the onions start to soften add some minced garlic. You don't want to burn the garlic.  It can get bitter. This time I cheated and added Penzeys dried minced garlic.  It is nice to have that on hand.  Then just add one 8 oz can of tomato sauce.  What ever your favorite variety might be.  You can add a little bit of sugar to the sauce.  Only like 1/4-1/2 of a tsp.  That's it!

Now fry an egg however you enjoy them and top the egg with some of the yummy sauce. I sprinkle some Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce on top.  Then add some fresh cilantro.  I served it with some crusty french bread slathered with butter and drizzled with honey.  


So I had left over sauce because my husband was fishing last weekend.  So I decided to make the Huevos Rancheros again. But for dinner this time.  So I axed the toast.  And added a soft corn tortilla on the bottom.  Then I sprinkled the tortilla with a Mexican cheese blend.  Lastly I added the egg, sauce and cilantro.  So easy.  The only thing missing was the Monkeys.  Well, actually there was a lot more missing than that.  But this is Minnesota after all.

2 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Breakfast or dinner, it looks pretty good to me!

DJan said...

My kind of breakfast, Sharon! Or dinner as the case may be. Other than the cilantro it looks great! (Not a fan)