Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Meil Boquetena


Meil means honey in Spanish. You can learn all about living with pollinators, honey culture and the healthy benefits of eating raw honey by clicking here!

We took a honey tour while we were staying in beautiful Boquete, Panama. Meil Boquetena is located on a lovely hillside farm at the edge of the bucolic town.  The tour culminated in the honey tasting room (not shown) I couldn't believe how diverse honey could be. There were dozens of intriguing flavors. Those Boquete bees have been busy! I divulge my favorite at the end of the post. 


The farm.


This gentleman was nursing a wounded bird. 


A family member


The flora and fauna was so diverse. I guess that's what makes Meil Boquetena honey the best I've ever tasted.


Yes, this flower is real. Psychedelic!


My favorite part of the tour (besides learning about bees and honey production in Panama) was the petroglyphs scattered around the property. A bonus. I guess the farm is located over a burial ground. And the glyphs are markers of some kind. I think.


But another theory is that the stones are energy markers. Or, at least some of them.

If you hold your hand over this mysterious spiral glyph and rotate it, you'll feel a burst of heat or energy. I don't know if the motion simply releases warmth from the stones that are baking in the sun, or what. But, it really worked! I always side on the mystical. It's more fun that way.


Meil Boquetena grows coffee too.


Here the beans are basking in the Panama sun. We've taken coffee tours before in Central America, so a honey tour was a nice switch. But honey and coffee is even better.


Emily the honey lady walking through her coffee plants.

Dreamy Fudge Cremosa

The honey tasting was really delicious and fun. On the tour, I was surprised at the miniature size of the actual bees. Tiny. During the tasting, one of my favorite flavors was called Lemonade. The bees in Boquete produce such a myriad of flavors, that Emily has a big job coming up with names that speak of the flavor profile. I purchased a Lavender infusion. And the fabulous Fudge Cremosa shown above. I'm so glad she added shipping to her website. 

That's a relief!

You've got mail! Whether you want it or not. Over at The Chorus of the Crows

The links:




29 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful images from your Panama visit. I hope the bird is ok. The dog is a cutie and the flowers are gorgeous.
Happy Tuesday, enjoy your week ahead!

DJan said...

Oh, YUM! That honey does sound incredible. Sending you big hugs for making me go out and buy some honey. :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I could use that spiral glyph. What a great tour .... All those plants , so different.... Hard even to imagine that many kinds of honey....wonderful place.

Ruth said...

Beautiful grounds! I would like to do a honey tasting tour. We pass thru a lot of bee "farms" when we drive to the Santa Ynez Valley (in Santa Barbara) county. Would like to try some of that honey.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Bees are so cool!! I love them, and honey too!
And the stones,,,,!!! Wow!!
love
tweedles

Huldra said...

Thank you for sharing this exciting our. I like the story of the stones, and that flower was really psychedelic alright...! :D

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Such beautiful scenery, what a perfect place for honey producing with all the different species of flowers. That turquios flower is magnificent, and the glyphs intriguing.

Lea said...


Wow! Wonderful series of photos!

A Colorful World said...

This tour looks wonderful! What a fascinating place. I love the chance to try the different honeys. So much fun! Love the petroglyphs too! Awesome post, Sharon! Thanks for your comment about MY comments. :-) I got a little "chatty" didn't I? :-)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How fun! I would like to go on a honey tour.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Sharon! Like the coffee growing and honey making! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog today,
and if I'm not mistaken you didn't leave a photo for SEASONS - just grab one of these, before 7pm, Pacific time,
and link it on the bottom of the post SEASONS - Moms Day in May - thanking in advance - have a great week!

Les Fous du Cap said...

Joli petit oiseau ;-)
Céline & Philippe

carol l mckenna said...

What a place and creative and colorful photos ~ love the turquoise flower ~ and your doggie steals the show!

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Budget Travel Talk said...

I was interested to see the coffee beans drying in the sun. I've seen peppercorns doing the same but not coffee. Isn't it amazing how such tiny bees make such a lot of honey!

doodles n daydreams said...

I've toured a lavender farm while in Japan but never a honey farm. It looked intriguing.

Diana

Neil said...

Great tour to go on.

betty-NZ said...

That sure sounds like a great way to spend the day! I never thought much about honey before I got to New Zealand where they have manuka trees that make an outstanding honey.

likeschocolate said...

How wonderful! That honey looks fantastic!
http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/05/ivy-goes-to-botanical-gardens.html

Maggid said...

how fun - this morning i used a different honey - (because I'd run out of my regular stuff0 and for a while all i could think of was how different the honey tasted. i have a friend who has become a bee keeper - in her sharing I've learned a lot -

That sure is a beautiful bird - i hope it's already well and flying by now . . and, I guess i did not realize how lovely coffee plants are . . kinda like holly bushes in color . . there is so much to learn in this world . . (your blog is happy making)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Great tour, Sharon.

I too, can hardly believe that flower!
~

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I just wanted to stop back and say thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

We took a honey tour at a honey farm in Germany it was so fascinating, and I never knew some honey actually tastes really terrible. :-D Our honey here is super thick. I need to go take a tour of the farm to find out why. What a fun tour, I am glad you took us with you ;-)

Lisa @ Life Thru the Lens

Inspired By June said...

Lavender honey sounds divine! What an interesting tour!

www.shelter-cats.com said...

That sounded like a wonderful, inspiring, and delicious trip. All senses stimulated!
Amazing flowers too.
Thanks for sharing.

NCSue said...

These are great shots. Looks like a lovely visit!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/05/getting-ready-to-play.html

Aritha V. said...

Beautiful photo: the hand and the bird!
http://momentsfrozentime.blogspot.nl/

Kristiina said...

Your photos and the story behind them is a lovely combination. Hope the bird is OK.

R. Täysin arkista

Polly and Pip said...

What a beautiful place to visit, full of so much beauty. I studied archaeology at university so would be fascinated by the petroglyphs especially as I'm leaning on the spirtual side too. The honey sounds delicious. Thanks for joining in with #MyFavouriteTrip

Pat Tillett said...

VERY interesting info Sharon. My granny used to make us eat three things. Honey, black strap molasses, and cod liver oil. I loved the honey, could tolerate the black strap molasses, and gagged daily when trying to swallow the cod liver oil.

I love that you had petroglyphs nearby, by didn't the builders of that place ever see Poltergeist? Building on top of ancient graveyards is bad joo-joo.