Monday, May 11, 2020

Time Capsule: The Grainery


“Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field.” — President Dwight D. Eisenhower

The cruelness of age is written, etched on every board. Abandoned, unkempt, ignored. Someone lived here. At one time, a family moved around the property, utilizing the weathered enclosure for varied and mysterious purposes. Now, only ghosts linger, longing for plow and hearth. 

The Grainery was the best place to unearth kittens, (eyelids closed, razor claws, newly formed) mewling behind an old Hoosier cabinet. The structure stored everything but grain: old signs and metal beds, box springs and crumbling boards, vintage dressers and unwanted junk, peeling end tables and old doors. Mailboxes. I grew up here. 

Follow my lens...



















“No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem.” — Booker T. Washington

And speaking of poems, be sure to pop over to read my limericks, loosely inspired by the Coronavirus. Click here to discover what happened to the T.P. at my house. Or visit my Creative Writing Blog...


The Awesome Links:





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

21 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting Monday post. I went to your Limericks. Very witty luv the cat and the tp

My post at mosaic Monday is #14

Be safe

Much💟love

Sylvia said...

Sharon, I loved the old door knobs and the bed spring photo in particular.Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D,

DJan said...

As usual, I am gobsmacked by your incredible eye for beauty in everything. I especially love the old bed springs. But they are all wonderful, Sharon. My eyes are full. Thank you. :-)

Powell River Books said...

Old abodes are so interesting. We have a few in the bush here in BC from old logging area and off-the-grid homes. Many in one fertile valley were all burned out by the RCMP to keep hippies from moving in during the 60s. We were a popular destination during the Vietnam War for draft dodgers and other adventurous souls. - Margy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What wonderful photos! I love that old weathered wood and especially love the old doors! The hardware is just beautiful on those! Take care!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You have an amazing eye for finding interest and beauty.

Jill Harrison said...

I love old buildings. Particularly flaky paint and rust. Such great subjects for photography.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Your photos make me want to know about the previous inhabitants... their lives, their dreams. Beautiful and evocative.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

It reminds me of the sheds Daddy built in the backyard. Your photos are stunning. So much mood.

Angie said...

Sharon - really, you lived here? It is sad to see a functioning home/farm/outbuildings fall into disarray. But such is life - things have limited usefulness, I suppose. My favorite photo in this collection is the mattress springs! Thanks for the link to Mosaic Monday, my clever photographer!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love your header Sharon and all these close up of old and rusty things. Must trying doing more of that type of photography (if I even could find the time!!!!) Stay safe and have a good week.

Handmade in Israel said...

Wonderful photos! They tell such stories.

Anne said...

I went to your creative writing blog before I even saw this post. Your photos make me wonder about the history behind the buildings.You take great photos.

EricaSta said...

Admire your captures!

A lovely Post for My Corner of the World, thank you for sharing.

Stay healthy, stay well.

betty-NZ said...

I really enjoy your subjects that show off the age of this place. Very impressive shots :)

Your corner is beautiful this week! Thanks for sharing it at the 'My Corner of the World' link up.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

fascinating photos

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Mary Kirkland said...

Wow, those are great pictures.

Dawn said...

I love these type of photos and take hundreds, my husband doesn't understand.
Thanks for sharing.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade
https://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com/2020/05/mothers-day-mosaic-monday.html?m=1

Saša S. said...

Interesting photos.
What would all be left in my place ...?

Spare Parts and Pics said...

You were really able to tell a story with these photos. I love the wood grain, the rust, the old hardware. Lots of emotion in these pics. I really enjoyed them!