Monday, April 27, 2020

The Bird Gardens of Naples: Cell Phone Edition



"Girdles and wire stays should have never been invented.  No man wants to hug a padded bird cage." Marilyn Monroe

I took so many photos at The Bird Gardens of Naples, that I need to break the post into two sections. Today's post highlights the beginning of the tour: Would you like to hold a bird? Yes, please. Next time, I'll post the the photos I took with my real camera.

The shoulder birds in the first few photos were owned (and loved) by another party and might not have been rescue birds. (although, they could have been) I feel in the sticky depths of my bone marrow that no one should own an exotic bird. But, alas, people still collect them from all corners of the earth. The happiness I felt with a Macaw on my shoulder was heart-felt. I can't deny it. Still, I wish these glorious beasts were still flying-high in Costa Rica. Sigh. I love to see them soaring side by side, one slightly ahead, like fighter pilots. This week, hitch-a-ride on our shoulders... 





This Cockatoo was so feisty! Apparently, he (or she) loves bearded men. The creature also loves to cause a ruckus on your arm. 




Yum. A hat. 





I fell in love with this one. A Hyacinth Macaw.





Glorious tail feathers. 



Meanwhile, inside the sanctuary, we fed the birds a whole canister of unsalted almonds. 



Eating a nut. 






Someone isn't like the others. 



Keriellen (shown here) owns the sanctuary. It really is a must-see in Southwest Florida. TBGON is a non-profit, concerned with parrot welfare and conservation. I hope I never see a "Tiger King" style, Netflix show about this place!

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Willie Nelson

The Awesome Links:









You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

Beautiful birds but, I agree, I wish they had been rescue birds.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Fun photos, Sharon! The parrot is so large and looked very friendly.

Fun60 said...

Interesting to see them up close.

Angie said...

Sharon - I agree with you - these spectacular birds belong in nature. But when they are owned and then given up (whatever the circumstances), it's a blessing that they have somewhere safe to go. Education and exposure are also very important parts of conservation. Thanks for sharing these magnificent creatures with all of us at Mosaic Monday!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I'm very glad there are people willing to care for these gorgeous birds when they've been abandoned. The birds look healthy, wealthy, and wise. I love how they look as happy as the humans. :-)

Peabea Scribbles said...

Your cell takes great photos. Looks like a fun visit and what a beautiful color bird. Have a great week.

Jeanne said...

I love the intense colors of parrot feathers!

Liz Needle said...

Beautiful birds. They do make very affectionate pets, but I also much prefer to see them in the wild where they are spectacular. I have only very seen captive Macaws, but the galahs and Major Mitchell Cockatoos are very abundant here in Australia.

Dawn said...

I love to watch birds in the wild but am not a fan of them as pets. Just as I see in one of your photos, they like to bite. They are lovely though.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

betty-NZ said...

My goodness, that looks like a lot of fun! The birds are so colorful.

Thanks for taking part at 'My Corner of the World' this week! It's good to see you.

Veronica Lee said...

OMG! Such fun, happy photos!

Happy Thurday, Sharon!

Mary Kirkland said...

The birds are beautiful. Love the dog too.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Absolutely stunning birds. I agree with you about the conundrum of better to have these beauties remain in the wild, but enjoying seeing them up close in captivity. Enjoy your weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Those birds are incredibly beautiful. I'd be happy to be close to one.

Linda Hensley said...

Pretty birds, though I agree about leaving them in the wild. I knew a guy who adopted birds who were abandoned. The birds can have a very long life and can go kind of crazy after their people die. I'm glad there's places for the birds to go and have such a social life.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It’s hard to tell who’s having the most fun ... birds or their visitors! We will have to check this spot out another season (if there is one ((

Gamesbx2.info said...

travel to asian countries, travel to asia advisory, travel to asia alone, travel to asia cheap,travel asia holidays
Thanks for what you have shared here. You can also refer to tourist destinations or beautiful places everywhere below.
Travel There
southeast asia travel
3 leaf grass
art of life
lycoris radiata
Gift of life
Flowers and Leaves