Monday, April 13, 2020

Kanab Heritage House



"Home is the nicest word there is." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Kanab means: "Place of the Willows" in local Paiute. But to me it was a place of red rock vistas. It is located in Utah, after all.

 In 1870, Brigham Young visited twice, supervising the town planning. In 1882, Henry Bowman - a polygamist - built this red brick structure, and only one wife, Mary, got to live in it. The most fascinating thing to me, was the family portrait hanging in the living room. It looked like a town census photo, but it was a family photo - one family! It was looooooooooooooong. Eventually, after Bowman left, several other prominent families moved into the house. But, you can bet they weren't as interesting. 

The house is full of period pieces, oldies and goodies, ancient put-up jars and the like. Our guide Emily, was the real gem. She made it a must-see. 




The Hollyhocks reminded me of my childhood on the farm. 




While we waited for our tour, we shopped at a rock emporium in Kanab. (The moniker shop doesn't do it justice) We bought sandstone balls, coasters, and magnets, all at Nature's Showcase. It's also a must-see in Kanab. 


 The Beehive State.

In Utah, the beehive symbolizes the cooperative life of a hive. Even Mark Twain commented on the beehive symbol: "The Mormon crest was easy. And it was simple, unostentatious and it fitted like a glove. It was a representation of a golden beehive, with all its bees at work."

Do you see the beehive in the photo above?


Emily, our guide, made a Hollyhock doll for us. We also picked mulberries from their prolific desert fruit trees. The next morning, we enjoyed french toast with Kanab mulberries.


"Home isn't where you're from, it's where you find light when all grows dark." Pierce Brown

Timely.

The Awesome Links:









You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

25 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Happy mosaic Monday. Hope you had a nice Easter

Much🌼love


Anne said...

I loved traveling with you. What a beautiful place with lots of history.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That little hollyhock doll is so sweet! I've enjoyed seeing this place. I would love to make a list of all the places I want to visit when this is all over! Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia said...

Sharon, Love the sand stone ball! Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

Rosie said...

I love your photos and so many interesting things you have shared. Thank you.

Angie said...

Sharon - what a lovely home, and how interesting that the builder incorporated the beehive motif! We have native hollyhocks in Montana, and I am always delighted to see them on our hikes. How fascinating to see a doll made from a flower. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, and have a good week.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hollyhocks are wonderful flowers.

Dawn said...

Love the house and the hollyhocks. I think I found a new plant to grow for my bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. The sandstone rock/circle ball was really cool too.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Amy Johnson said...

What a gorgeous home! I love the hollyhocks. If my granddaughter is still here in summer, I will have to make those hollyhock dolls with her.

DJan said...

Thanks for the lovely tour. I'm glad I went along, and yes I see that beehive (yellow, right). :-)

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

It's sooooo beautiful! ❤️

Peabea Scribbles said...

Such a pretty place. Love the flowers.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love the house, it's beautiful.

RobertN said...

Beautiful photos.

betty-NZ said...

What a great place! The sandstone ball is just incredible to see along with the other interesting pieces.

I'm so happy that you joined us over at at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I didn't know Utah is the beehive state. That's a beautiful house, and looks like it's been well care for over the years. Have a safe and healthy weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

An interesting house. I am glad that it is preserved and furnished well. I love the backstory. It's been decades since I have been to Kanab.

DUTA said...

The Kanab House - a gem full of gems with a gem of a guide.
You've got me curious about the looong family portrait hangingf in the living room.

Stevenson Q said...

I have learned a lot from this trip Sharon, thank you so much! I am so happy that you enjoyed the house tour which is very interesting and historical at the same time. I love the shop with the teepee outside and that sandstone souvenir, at first I thought was a cloth ball, is so cool! And I agree, whenever I travel I don't get to be with guides since I usually DIY my trips but when I do, I really enjoy the tour with fun and informative guides, they actually do make the trip much more memorable.

Happy Weekend and send my hugs from the Philippines to Hana and Akua :)

Stevenson

Powell River Books said...

When I was a kid my Campfire Girls group would go to a heritage house in Compton, California, to do the guided tours. It was such fun to be able to go behind the ropes and see the wonderful items on display up close before the doors opened. - Margy

Veronica Lee said...

I always enjoy your travels and photos!

Have a great weekend, Sharon!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Utah is a beautiful state. I love the home and the pretty hollyhocks.
I have been to Kanab and my son would love to go in the rock shops.
Great photos, thanks for visiting my blog. Happy weekend to you!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I'm sorry to say I've only seen Utah from Salt Lake City to Wendover, Nevada. I think I'd enjoy visiting more of the state. I think the hollyhock doll is so charming!! Thank you and have a wonderful week!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I'm sorry to say I've only seen Utah from Salt Lake City to Wendover, Nevada. I think I'd enjoy visiting more of the state. I think the hollyhock doll is so charming!! Thank you and have a wonderful week!

Jim said...

Beautiful house.