Monday, March 23, 2020

Will Work For Rum...


The strangled remains of a doomed sugar mill can be found in the jungles of Belize, at the Mayan Ruin site called Lamanai. 

Lamanai (submerged Crocodile) was the reason we visited Orange Walk and booked a fast boat to traverse the New River, on our way to the remote site. (Our guides navigated the narrow river like James Bond escaping a first-class villain) The sugar mill created by the Hyde and Hodge Company in 1860, paid Chinese workers with rum! Every brick arrived by boat, but because of poor design and unschooled sugar/rum workers, the mill failed. 

Now, the sweet ruins are a bonus side trip. Follow my lens... 







Strangler Fig










Made in New Orleans.



I love this shot. 

We could all use a little rum during this Pandemic. 


The Awesome Links:


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

14 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

What an amazing place to be able to visit! Those tree roots intertwined with the wheel are incredible.

DJan said...

Fascinating! I see that some liquor manufacturers are converting their factories to manufacture hand sanitizers! I think I prefer rum.... :-)

Photo Cache said...

I drink to your proposal! Stay safe.

Worth a Thousand Words

Peabea Scribbles said...

Sad to see things that were new and thriving and now time has rusted and weathered. I have never really liked Rum, but at this point in this social distancing....might get use to it, and especially if it killed the germs. :) Have a great one and stay well.

Mary Kirkland said...

That's such a wonderful spot and to be able to visit it is really nice.

betty-NZ said...

Wow! You never know what's lurking in the woods! What a cool place to visit. This post reminded me of the overgrown mining and logging equipment around New Zealand.

I'm so happy you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

Anne said...

So nice to see far away places that are so beautiful!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I am fascinated by this place with this old factory and how nature is recapturing it is impressive.
Great photos!

Stevenson Q said...

Wow Sharon these are very interesting pictures. I would love to visit this sugar plantation with all these machines that they use in agriculture. Sugar plantation has also been part of the Philippine's history when the Spaniards took over our islands for 300 years. But these are machines I don;t see here in my country yet.

Stevenson
Cavite Daily Photo
Stevenson Que Blog

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

the ruins are fascinating to me - great photos!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what an interesting and cool place to visit. I loved Belize, it is a beautiful country. Great post and photos. Take care and stay well, wishing you a happy day!

Sandy Carlson said...

Looks like a fascinating place. It does the heart good to see the trees taking over again.

Veronica Lee said...

What a fascinating place to visit! Love the photos!

likeschocolate said...

I probably wouldn't stop drinking if I started. I am so over this and I know we still have weeks to go.