Monday, June 25, 2018

Arches National Park


On our first morning in Utah, we got up early and drove to Canyonlands National Park. The lighting was perfect and the red-rock views were like layers of frozen fire. The weather on our morning hike, (you could film a brain on drugs commercial) was the sultry, meandering path to the devil's lair - hotter with each doomed step. So, the next morning, we got up early again...really early.

I was up anyway - star gazing under Moab's dark skies. Eventually, after a big vacation breakfast, we found ourselves at Arches for sunrise. The lighting wasn't perfect, but the temperature was sublime. I was awestruck.


Park Avenue. The red rock skyscrapers towered over the Park entrance.



Sunrise over Balanced Rock.



Balanced Rock- sunny.



Shadow shot!



Surreal Silhouettes.



Massive Windows.



Desert specimens. 



Ants for scale. I mean people



Landscape Arch in the Devil's Garden.



Life!



Holes.





Happy me!

I picked my top 8. If you have some extra time, stop over to see the The Best of Utah!

P.S. I started a brand new travel blog hop this week. (It might take me awhile to learn the linky lingo and tweak my settings.) Do you have travel photos to share? If so, link up here. Please help me get started by spreading the word to fellow travel bloggers. 

Thanks!


The Awesome Links:




19 comments:

DUTA said...

Red rocks fascinate me wherever I have the chance to see them.
The tree with the weird, dry branches makes for a great desert photo!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Gorgeous photos today Sharon. The western landscape intrigues me

Joyful said...

Stunning scenery.

Sondra said...

SO happy to see Landscape Arch is still hanging in there, Love all those red rock formations!

Lady Fi said...

Such gorgeous scenery!

Ruth said...

My trip to discover Southern Utah is long overdue. I know the state has some of the most scenic parks in the world. Your photos inspire me to visit!

Peabea Scribbles said...

I'm so glad your legs do the walking and my eyes can enjoy your adventure through your photos. Such awesome scenery. There's no way I would ever get to visit those places so I'm thrilled so much for your visiting and sharing with Pictorial Tuesday. Thank you.

Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous!!! We missed so much when we went because we were in the car only, driving through to see what we could from that vantage-point. I got a few good photos....wish we could have done a little hiking! It was also toward the end of day and a rainstorm was brewing. Loved seeing all your wonderful shots!

Betty J. Crow said...

Beautiful scenery. Utah is one state I haven't visited but hope to rectify.

Kay L. Davies said...

Amazing rock formations, and so much beauty!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Angie said...

I did wonder how you got a picture of only one car in the parking lot - you started EARLY! These are spectacular shots … I especially liked the first shot, the shadow shot and the "ant/people" shot.

I will plan to link up to your travel blog hop in the future.

By the way, I may not be commenting as often for the next few weeks since I will have my in-laws visiting from the UK. We are going to have a great time!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful Arches! We loved that whole area. But I really need to get up earlier! You had perfect light. I will try to link my post this week, tho it may not make too much sense to anyone who hasn’t been following our journey for awhile. Gosh, where were you and your linky party ten years ago when we were traveling full time ;:)))?

Photo Cache said...

So jealous. This and the other big 5 is in my bucket list.

Worth a Thousand Words

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Arches has been on my list for a long time! Always reminds me of the book "Desert Solitaire". Your photos are wonderful... love the shot of Balanced Rock!

Linda Hensley said...

I flew over that area and looked down, does that count? Uh, yeah, probably not. I'm happy to see it vicariously :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Gorgeous shots. I love the area around Moab. I spent some time as a kid in Price, UT, way to the north of Moab but still in the high desert and just absolutely loved it.

Esther Joy said...

Loved your shots! One of our favorite vacations was to Zion Canyon in Utah...

Jackie McGuinness said...

I've been there but would love to go back.

Pat Tillett said...

Your photos are great Sharon! I remember that the lighting gets very harsh during the daytime. It doesn't appear to be crowded at all.