Monday, October 9, 2017

Macon, Georgia


The Johnston- Felton- Hay House, built in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, is one of Georgia's most historic houses. I have to say, it was breathtaking and lived up to its earlier designation of "Palace of the South." Construction of the 18,000 foot mansion began in 1855 and continued until 1859. Meanwhile, the family lived in the basement. They furnished it with furniture, precious art and objects from their grand honeymoon tour of Europe. I wish I had a ghost story to relay from our informative tour, but I don't. Although, if I were a Georgia ghost, I'd strongly consider living here. 







The basement pantry.



A hand painted marble effect.





The tour took us full circle, from past to present.


Across the street, there were modern day circles.



A Mockingbird.

I used the Prisma App to add spookiness and drama to my photos of the historic Rose Hill Cemetery. 









I love this photo. Rose Hill is the final resting spot of over 1,000 confederate soldiers. It was a maze of levels and curves with decaying gravestones scattered in little garden alcoves. 

We didn't have much time to spend in Macon on our way back to Atlanta, but it is definitely worth a look see. Don't forget to eat at the Rookery!

The Awesome Links:


16 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love old homes and this one is a beauty.

NCSue said...

Thanks, Sharon, for joining the party at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/10/beauty-on-wing.html

Photo Cache said...

Both the houses and cemeteries of years past have a charm that cannot be replicated these days.

Worth a Thousand Words

Murthy K v v s said...

Wonderful pics.Have a nice day.

Lady Fi said...

Great shots of that superb home and cemetery.

DJan said...

Now that's a place I'd love to visit. Thanks for taking me along. :-)

Susie of Arabia said...

Love everything about this magnificent building - the details are wonderful

DrillerAA09 said...

Great set of images. I love historic buildings. The detail and craftsmanship is simply stunning.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful historical post and creative photography ~ fun ~ ^_^

A ShutterBug Explores ~ aka (A Creative Harbor)

A Colorful World said...

Oh what a stunning historic mansion! Absolutely LOVED seeing it! And loved the photos of Rose Hill Cemetery! Wow, I've missed seeing these in my travels.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...


I enjoyed visiting this elegant historic mansion through your eyes, Sharon! I'm always glad to see such an architectural treasure well maintained. The cemetery was also interesting to see.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

"Grand" and "elegant" come to mind for this beautiful old home. What a treasure! Oh, and great job with the Prisma edits!!

Photos by Stan said...

That house could certainly compete with those in Savannah. Love those chimneys...

Ruth said...

Places and towns like this are the reason why I love to discover small towns around the country. I know there are many around the South. I need to get to know that area more. #TPThursday

Budget Travel Talk said...

Wow, this mansion is kept in such wonderful condition. It is difficult to believe it is that old!

Pat Tillett said...

Another great photo tour!
As you already know, I love these old historic places.