Monday, April 24, 2017

Our Lady of Grace Cathedral in Leon, Nicaragua


If I would have known I would be walking the rooftops of a Grecian temple of the Gods, I would have picked a cloudless day. That way, the contrast between the white stucco and a Mediterranean blue sky would have been even more impressive. Of course, this isn't the Mediterranean. It's Nicaragua. 

The Cathedral is the largest in Central America and is a designated world heritage site. The construction started in 1747. Leon is surrounded by a landscape of volcanoes. You can see them in the distance. 


We climbed up the narrow stairs to the bell tower in a grand church in Granada, Nicaragua. There, we were rewarded with a great view of the city. So when my husband told me we were going to climb this cathedral, I said, "Cool." I figured the view would be great. But, I had no idea that the real view was the roof. We were advised to stay on the straight and narrow and not to climb onto the domes. Otherwise, we'd be thrown into Volcan Cerro Negro. 



There were actually quite a few tourists strolling the sizzling white rooftops. The roof had two tiers, so people were spread out like flowers on a wedding cake. Plus, I tried not to get people in on the photos. 


Peek-a-boo.


The windows held colored glass. You can barely see that here.



Here, we're looking down on the lower roof.


These guys have a heavy load to lift.





If you are ever in Leon, pick a cloudless morning and look around the left hand side of the front of the glamorous Cathedral. Trust me, the little nook where you are ushered up an even narrower series of stairs is hard to find. But it is worth it.

Climb!

The Awesome Links:



Check out my review of Vacationland this week. The land of venison and honey! 



16 comments:

NCSue said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/04/elvis-sighting-in-israel.html

DJan said...

Wow! Great pictures. I love your "eye" and the things you are able to capture to share with regular mortals like me. :-)

Stewart M said...

Wonderful shots - love the framing on the ones looking through 'holes'.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Fabulous shots, Love the one through the wall adn that ell is amazing

Lady Fi said...

Oh my goodness - how gorgeous! And the sky is a perfect backdrop.

DUTA said...

It seems to me that Leon is a city well worth visiting. The volcanoes on one hand, and the cathedral on the other - what a view of grandor!
Your photography of the roof, the windows and the bell is just overwhelming.

Molly said...

Love the white against the blue sky

Mollyx

likeschocolate said...

An stunning building! Thanks for sharing your adventure! It looks like you had a great time. Like how you captured the sunset between the buildings in the previous building.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful towers! In your first capture you can see clearly it is colored glass. Also love the sculptures of the man holding things in place!
Sharon, maybe I'm overlooking it, but I can't find your thumbnail for this week - if you read this before 7 pm today (Wednesday) you can still link it up to All Seasons!
If not, hope to see you back coming Sunday:) Have a great week!

Pat Tillett said...

That is pretty darn rude for that pigeon to crap on that guy's arm, while he's holding up a building! Really nice photos Sharon. It looks like a very interesting place.

betty-NZ said...

I love it when wonderful surprises like this present themselves! How amazing are your photos with all the different nooks and great features! I like your 'peeks' through the rails and arches. I know you had fun photographing the bell and bird!

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

Wow! What a great series of photos! Beautiful details and colours

Les Fous du Cap said...

Très belle architecture ;-)
Céline & Philippe

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely series of photos ~ all very creative and that Cathedral is magnificent!

Wishing you a fun weekend ~ ^_^

Ruth said...

Love, love you pictures! They really look like they were taken on a remote Greek island. This is a place I would like to visit. I feel like going to Nicaragua every time I spot it. #TPThursday

Linda Hensley said...

It's cloudless enough for the Grecian effect. Beautiful photos!