Saturday, June 27, 2015

Biking the Red Cedar Trail


With the help of my new electric bike, I was finally able to do 26 miles on the Red Cedar Trail in Menomonie, Wisconsin. We started our trek while the sun was low in the sky, gently dappling the fauna along the trail with rays of light. Beautiful. This was the first of many bridge crossings on this old railway line.



The architecture made for great angular photos.



We stopped to admire a turn in the river.  And can you guess what else we spotted by accident?



Snakes!  I think this is a common water snake. He really blended into the log.



And there were two, yes two, Eastern Massasauga (great river mouth) Rattle Snakes soaking up the sun.  Or at least that is what I think they were after a google search.



They were big fat snakes.  We were thrilled to see them. And when we came through this part of the woods on the return trip, a common water snake slithered across the trail. Good grief!  We walked out on the rocks to get those water photos.  And there seems to be a threatening amount of snakes here. Watch your step!



But some things were small and precious.  Like 100's of butterflies flitting about. They would sit in delicate groups on the gravel floor, just waiting to be flushed out, then they would swirl and flutter every which way. There were so many blooming wildflowers for the butterflies to inspect along the way.  The jungle of flowers would brush against your legs as you peddled by. Hopefully there wasn't any poison ivy!







And there were large predators lurking in the trees.



This entrance marks the Downsville Sandstone Quarry. The rail line transported sandstone between 1880-1950. And near this there was a trickling little waterfall with seats for weary peddlers.  What a trail.



The highlight of our journey was at the 13.6 mile mark on this wide curve of the river. The bridge was a great place for photos and a scenic picnic.  Ah, Summer and all of its joys.



I caught this fellow watching something...



I caught this fellow just as he was reaching for something...



I love the towering angles.



Well, equipped with my new electric bike, my wimpy legs can take on the world.  Or, at least Wisconsin.


Happy 4th everyone!

25 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sharon, wonderful collection of images. The snake is a cool sighting. Love the pretty butterflies and view of the water. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots of the place. I like that old railway bridge.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

oh! 2 snakes, not good news to me! love the butterfly and Eagle. Have a lovely weekend

Adam Jones said...

Lovely butterflies.

Anni said...

how pretty, how fun, gorgeous day...everything so enjoyable!
Except for those darned snakes. How I hate snakes. LOL

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Lovely Pearl Crescent butterfly, I have one, too.

And I wish I had some snakes to take pics of!
~

DJan said...

Wonderful pictures! I love the angled bridges, but the butterflies are my favorites. :-)

Stephanie said...

Lovely bridge images, gorgeous scenery.

Don Urness said...

What electric bike did you get? I was looking at one.

A Colorful World said...

Amazing place! Beautiful photos! Interesting all the snakes you saw, and the eagle too! Just some really great shots, and I enjoyed this post a lot!

Unknown said...

Beautiful captures! I love the snakes and the butterflies are gorgeous.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Wow,, wow,, wow! beautiful photos!
love
tweedles

Anonymous said...

What a ride! Lots of wonderful sights along that trail. I liked seeing those big snakes

Ida said...

What a trip you took on that bike. Those snakes were pretty awesome, that one shot where it was looking right at you was super cool. Loved the Eagle as well. The Electric Bike sounds like the perfect way to travel.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful trail! And gorgeous, but scary, snakes!

barbara said...

this place looks interesting! but snakes make me nervous...!!

Kim Cunningham said...

Oh that snake face! He almost looks friendly, but...

Latane Barton said...

That's a beautiful picture of the eagle. Worth the trip.

Linda Hensley said...

This looks like a great ride. I personally like snakes, so I would've enjoyed that especially :)

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Love the scenes and the Bald Eagle, the snakes, oh I think I would be going the other way. Actually they are lovely and useful. If you have not yet stopped by, I am celebrating 6 years on my blog~

betty-NZ said...

Oh, what wonderful scenery--there was a lot to see! I have to say I like the eagle the best.

betty-NZ said...

Oh, what wonderful scenery--there was a lot to see! I have to say I like the eagle the best.

Linda W. said...

Nice photos! Loved the old bridge with it's metal trusses. Looks like you saw quite a bit of wildlife too. Thanks for sharing your biking adventure.

Gauri said...

Aww, the butterfly has such amazing colours and the snake surely is like a chameloen :) Nice pics

theartofpuro said...

Amazing pictures:) I love the snake one,it looks like he was saying:...look at me,I'm photogenic,don't you agree?