Friday, August 22, 2014

Skulduggery


Skull.  The timely theme over at www.illustrationfriday.com this week.  Who would have thought that I started my art career painting them.  Especially when I've been wandering around in the world of children's illustration for so long now.  Maybe too long.  When I was painting my southwestern and texture filled skull pieces I was still making slides of my work.  And this is the only one I have scanned.  One of the originals sold before I could even get a slide done of it.  It still remains my largest single sale to date.

That would definitely qualify as skulduggery now.  Or more like stupidity.  Selling something you can't even make prints of.  But I miss those innocent and naive days of making art.  I didn't know what the heck I was doing.  But I enjoyed painting and expressing myself so much.  Now my work has to have a purpose to promote myself.  Or be appropriate for my website.  No skulls there.

Maybe it is time to climb the mysterious stairway and find out where it really leads me... 

6 comments:

DJan said...

Isn't that a great word, "skullduggery"? I do like this illustration, which I had never seen before. :-)

Ida said...

Awesome illustration. I can see why it sold so quickly.

Pat Tillett said...

It's fantastic! Love everything about it.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

This is beautiful, Sharon. I love the simplicity and starkness of it. The stairway really does seem to lead to somewhere unknown. Maybe it's speaking to you now. :-)

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderfully done and filled with so much spirituality and depth ~

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

theartofpuro said...

Great and perfect for the week topic :)