A day trip down the scenic Mississippi river valley to Stockholm, Wisconsin.
5 random senses for Random 5 Friday
1) What will you hear? The whistle of trains as they charge down the tracks. Sea gulls calling. The wind across the water. And to prove that there is no perfect paradise, the deafening obnoxious blight of overpowered motorcycles out for a joy ride.
2) What will you see? Sparkles, Fall colors, lofty and scenic panoramas, eagles soaring on thermals, pumpkins and small town life.
3) What will you smell? Bread baking at the Smiling Pelican Bakeshop, pies and drying leaves and flowers.
4) What will you taste? Stone Barn Pizza.
5) What will you touch? Grab a fork!
A day filled with planes, trains and a few automobiles.
We spotted a huge flock of white pelicans flying over. Score! They are a rare sight. But I barely got the shot.
For more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday
Soaking it all in on a hike to the edge of Maiden Rock bluff
We arrived at the Nelson Stone Barn at 4:40 and cars were lining up outside the farm for a 5:00 opening. Yes farm! And it is the best darn wood fired pizza around. They seat you in the remains of an old barn. Cool.
As the hungry cars waited a BMW bypassed the line. The driveway was roped off. The BMW drove around the driveway on the grass. Cars started honking. And everyone was grumbling about that darn car when we were inside and ordering our Za. BMW....grrrr...rude....who are these clowns? Ha!
But who could stay mad while eating fantastic pizza on a scenic farm with horses, evening sun and the wood fires glowing.
Good bye Stone Barn. See you next May. Sniff.
P.S. For more on the Mississippi river valley, the legend of Maiden Rock and Stone Barn Pizza hit my labels. Or check out these links The legend of Maiden Rock or Stone Barn Pizza