Friday, April 27, 2012

Jump!

I did this B/W illustration for Project Open Book a couple years ago.  It was inspired by a poem where shadows come alive at night.  I have a love/hate feeling with that idea. I for one have never out grown my insane fear of things that go bump in the night.  To this day I still open my sleepy near sighted eyes and fixate on a dark shadow in the corner.  Did it just move?  Is that dark shape the dresser?  Or something else...Yikes!  The worst thing is when you forget you left some mystery object (like a clothes basket) in the middle of the floor.  Obviously it is a crouching demon.  What else would it be?  Did you notice that I don't imagine it is a kneeling intruder.  Nope.  My mind always takes a straight shot to the paranormal side. 

Unfortunately, after all this build up my illustration does not live up to all that shadowy fear.  It is not the best example of my work. You are definitely not going to find it on my website.  But the kid is jumping.  So I'm posting it for Friday the 13th.  The shadow on the left is playing with a football.  And the teddy bear shadow is stealing a pair of shoes. You can blame it on da bears every time!    

4 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

OOh, creepy! I had a spider run along the chair I was sitting in last night... eek!

Rita said...

It's perfect for this week...kind of scary but he doesn't seem to mind. My son is scared at night, I would tell him just to jump when he is scared but he is on the top bunk! :)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Gosh now tonight I will think of things that go bump in the night!
the sketch is perfect!
love
tweedles

Creations By Mit said...

At first glance, I thought it was a fun scene of a kid jumping on the bed, but then I noticed the shadows! CREEPY!!! Intriguing piece! Love it! And I enjoyed the personal story that went with it!!