Monday, June 22, 2009

Princess and the Me








After seeing this self portrait, it probably comes as no surprise that Halloween is my favorite holiday. I used to make elaborate costumes and celebrate in style. But I never was a princess. So I finally got to live out that fantasy or at least paint it. I joked in an earlier blog post that I wasn't sure if my pet leopard was lovingly looking up at me. Or he just might be waiting for me to jump off the bed. (So he can have me as a snack.) But either way, no fantasy is complete without some exotic pets. I saw my first wild Scarlet Macaw in Costa Rica this year. So I had to include an exotic bird in the mix. But this princess would definately let the Macaw chart her own flight path around the castle. No cages for sure. I wouldn't have to clean up the mess! I did have another less indulgant reason for painting this portrait. You can check out Mermaid Me and many other artists on http://www.childrens-illustrators.com/

8 comments:

Margaret Pangert said...

tres chic and colorful! You look like you're in Morocco with the draping over the bed. I like the idea that you can literally make yourself anything you want to be. Project, project.

Historical sites with charmine said...

Hi sharon,thanks for stopping by.I LOVE THIS idea,your so creative and i like the story.Chewed paper?? hahaha! no way, there's no saliva in papier mache.Have a good day & i'll be back.

Ziggy Stardust said...

Beautiful, I love Halloween also. So colorful, it is always a pleasure visiting you.

Anne

Anonymous said...

I love the dress and her painted toenails!

Nina Crittenden said...

This is fantastic- I love the kitty!

m said...

I just saw you on my list of peeps and had to check you out. nice art work. Good to meet a children;s book type illustrator. I'm going off to see your other site now.

m said...

LOVE your "beloved Moon" illustration. Great angle. How long did it take you to do? it looks very time consuming for one.

Lille Diane said...

This painting is incredible!!! You have to join Creative Every Day!!!! come to my blob (as I call it) to get the link.

And you are a Princess, a beautiful princess at that. Your work never ceases to amaze me.