Monday, March 22, 2021

Monoliths and Will o' Wisps



"Then the wind blew cool through the pinyons on the rim. There was a sweet tang of cedar and sage on the air and that indefinable fragrance peculiar to the canyon country of Arizona."
~ Zane Grey



Monolith country is my muse. Some people hate the desert. I love the bleached cedar bones and prickly brush; the sizzling heat and saturated scenery. I can't imagine anyone feeling anything but awe around the red rock vistas. But the harsher elements might spurn discussion. I think you simply need to be smart about it: hike early, bring water and a third eye for unusal vibrations. Follow our feet...







The best back-up camera view ever!








Will o' Wisps are ghostly occurrences of phosphorescence illuminating the night sky. But I think of the baby quails as will o' wisps. They were a flurry of feathers, undulating over the desert sands at dusk. Apparently, several quail parents band together, forming one giant brood, because they moved like a cloud of locusts. It was enchanting. Just like Sedona.  

"In Arizona, we salt margaritas, not sidewalks." Unknown
"In Arizona, shade trees are your best friends and occasionally the basis of small civil wars over parking."
~ Terri Guillemet
























 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

20 comments:

DUTA said...

I love the desert; it fascinates me with its sands and rocks, cacti, low-green shrubs. I love the quiet and the air. Also its birds and animals.
The baby quails in your last photos are truly enchanting!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The back up camera did get a beautiful view! I love those high deserts! I lived in the 4 corners of N.M. years ago and loved it! The quail sure blend in to their surroundings!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I recognized Sedona right away! Such a magical place.

Angie said...

Sharon - that first photo is mind-blowing - the colors, the textures. I generally prefer the mountains, but there is a unique beauty to the desert that is very special indeed. The deserts are lucky to have you as their champion - you show it off superbly. I laughed out loud at the Zane Grey quote - for some reason, my Dad had a copy of the book "Riders of the Purple Sage", and I loved it. I should try to find another copy! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

Amy Johnson said...

I fell in love with the desert when I visited New Mexico. It was my first trip to any type geography like that. Then we went to Utah, and fell in love more, then Nevada and the Grand Canyon. I still would love to go to Arizona someday if it will ever be possible. Thank you for the link up.

DJan said...

Such magnificent rock formations, and soft fuzzy quails, too. :-)

Meditations in Motion said...

We visited Coconino National Forest for the first time last year. It is a beautiful place. Everywhere you look, another stunning landscape. We were not lucky enough to see a flock of baby quail, though! How wonderful.

dee Nambiar said...

Lovely natural structures.
I love rocky destinations too. :)

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous desert landscapes! I love the cute Gambel's Quail, the little ones are adorable.
I was able to see them in New Mexico, they are a flurry of feathers. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and week ahead.

Hootin Anni said...

When we lived in Tucson we had a quail couple nest in our back yard. It was phenomenal!!!

Glorious images of the Sonoran Desert!!!

Thanks for sharing this with us at IRBB

~Anni@ I'd Rather B Birdin'

Lady Fi said...

Fabulous!

Susie of Arabia said...

Beautiful scenic shots of the Sedona area. I haven't been there in years. I think I should visit again. Such a beautiful place.

Arun Goyal said...

What a beautiful place for Nature lovers , It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening, nature and birds here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2021/03/garden-affair-stunning-statice-flowers.html

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Loved this because I loved visiting the desert (and hope we can again some day). On our first stay I enjoyed it for the contrast (with the green foresty Oregon landscape that was home) and then I began to see the beauty and color and amazingly awesome formations..... I feel a bit sad for people who can’t appreciate the different kinds of nature’s amazing beauty.

betty-NZ said...

These are some delightful desert scenes! I've never been to a real desert, except for a very, very brief moment long ago. The red rocks are gorgeous and I think I have to agree with your opinion about it!

I'm happy to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

Tanza Erlambang said...

like human made architectures.... wonderful nature works....

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I can't imagine people not falling in love with the desert around Sedona. The green, blue, and red rocks are irresistable! I don't think I've seen a group of quail quite that large. Wonderful photos!

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! Sedona is a magical, wonderful place. Beautiful photographs. Be safe.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sedona is the bomb, all of Arizona is. I love the deserts, and the mountains and the forests.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love all the pictures.