Monday, May 21, 2018

Yaxha




The Mayan city of Yaxha (blue-green water) is hidden in a remote area of Guatemala. The city and its environs encompassed ninety-two miles, with a population of approximately 42,000. Although, that was around 350 BC - 250 AD.

 The ruins include at least five hundred structures linked by hidden causeways. If you forage thoroughly, you'll discover forty mysterious stelae, thirteen altars, nine temples, and two ball courts. Do you remember these ruins from the T.V. show Survivor? The cast and crew filmed inside the park. No joke!





We didn't see any jaguar, but we did see turkeys. 


I wonder how many people can say they had a picnic in front of a Mayan ruin? 


Tiny critters. 


Epic stairways. You can see how the jungle grows over the temples like slime in a horror movie.


Uff da. 
  


There was a panoramic view from the top. Plus, we were smack dab in the middle of howler monkey American Idol try outs. 


My husband climbed this one, but not me. 



A spectacular plaza with a view. It has twin pyramids like Tikal. 




Stelae. If walls could talk.



Mummified. 


Smiley face stelae. 




Wow! What a view from the top. 

Yaxha was an adventure from the start - hidden away in deep jungle, with only a ground and pound dirt road for access. But I love that kind of thing!

20 comments:

DJan said...

What a fine place! I had never heard of it before, and it doesn't look like it's overrun with tourists like Chichen Itza, for example. Thanks for the great pictures, Sharon. :-)

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful stone work and wonderful photos of your travels!

Happy Day to you,
C & Z

Andrea said...

OMG i wish i can see even just one of the Mayan ruins! But i am not sure if i can climb that tall and long stairs. Some ruins in Bagan, Israel have steep inclines to and i was at least able to climb a few. Wonderful shots, i am envious of your tour.

Photo Cache said...

I wonder how many of these pyramids are still around.

Worth a Thousand Words

Stewart M said...

What a remarkable part of the world - I'd love to visit.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Lady Fi said...

What an epic visit!

Kay L. Davies said...

Fabulous photos. Ancient ruins are "a few of my favourite things"! When I was 20-something I met my first Mayan ruins and enrolled, when I got home, in geology and archaeology lessons at a college on my route to work. Go to school, go to work, go home, study, repeat! Just recently I unearthed my geology and anthropology texts and essays...I'm too old to go back to school now, so I enjoyed your photos immensely.
Thanks for being there when I cannot!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Powell River Books said...

We went to similar ruins in Mexico some time ago. It's amazing to think about how they made such detailed and architecturally beautiful buildings with fewer tools at their disposal. - Margy

Betty J. Crow said...

Wonderful post. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful scenery and the ruins. I doubt too many people have had a picnic in such a beautiful place.

A Colorful World said...

I would LOVE to go there, so much! The pyramids are so fascinating! Great photos. And how cool seeing the turkeys...you don't think about them being anywhere but N America!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The pyramids and the stelae are just wonderful.... it is always amazing to me how those ancient wonders are just out there for anyone to touch and see. At least that is how it was when we hiked around in Belize. (A long time ago, when we were younger....)

likeschocolate said...

Great photos! Thanks for bringing us on your journey!

Peabea Scribbles said...

Wow...just wow at your adventuresome side. Looks like such an amazing place to visit with so much to see; let alone the exercise in nature with those steps, etc.. Thanks for sharing this great photography travel at Pictorial Tuesday.

Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

NCSue said...

Wow - amazing photos!!!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/05/james-taylor-gotta-love-him.html

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Pretty mind-boggling to see these spectacular ruins and think about how long ago they were created, and what life must have been like back then! Wonderful photos and thanks for taking us along!

Linda Hensley said...

Holy shhh... that's a LOT of steps! They must've been the most fit people ever, well, at least as long as nobody was ripping their heart out for a sacrifice. But what a view! Wonderful photos. Thanks for taking the rest of us on the trip!

DUTA said...

Wow! That's some archeological site, surrounded by jungle, beside a lake!
Totally worth a trip, and taking those spectacular photos.
Thanks for sharing Yaxha - the part of the classic Maya triangle.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I think I might have to add this to my bucket list. What a great place!!

Angie said...

Ruins like this are definitely on my list for a visit in my lifetime. And I will climb those steep stairs - I just have to make sure that I don't look down!

betty-NZ said...

Such a wonderful place to visit and what panoramic views. Thanks so much for sharing these images. I can only image that the picnic was wonderful!