Monday, April 16, 2018

Iximche


Iximche - or Maize Tree

Iximche is an archaeological site dating from 1470 -1524 in the highlands of Guatemala. (you'll have it all to yourself) I was surprised to learn that the site is located at an elevation of almost 7,500 feet. I knew that we had weaved, swerved and climbed, but I would have guessed 5,000 tops. The plaza was built on a ridge, for protection from invaders, and is surrounded by deep ravines. 






The site hasn't been reconstructed as much as other sites, so it is not as visually impressive. However, these temples never did have the height and drama of the lowland temples. At one time, they had platforms and thatched roofs. 













The skeletal remains of over 100 people were discovered here - many the victims of human sacrifice. In fact, this hole in the ground was a receptacle for blood

However, not all of the old bones were victims of decapitation! The noble tombs revealed squatting skeletons with various precious objects: jade, obsidian, turquoise, gold, copper and even some carved human bone jewelry.








I (think) this is a pictorial of  ceremonial offerings.



Now days, Iximche is extremely popular with locals for ceremonial purposes. I asked our guide if it was O.K. to take a photo of this ceremony. He said yes, but even so, I just zoomed in and snapped one photo.

P.S. I have a new post over at The Chorus of the Crows!  It's about three bold and scrappy book thieves...

The Awesome Links:



16 comments:

DJan said...

Leave it to you to find these great places! Thanks for taking me there along with you. :-)

Marcia said...

Never heard of this spot. Interesting ruins.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I've always been fascinated by South American and Central American ancient tribes. I'm not familiar with this location but it is very interesting.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Wow! How fantastic!

NCSue said...

Fascinating! What an interesting place.
Thanks for taking us on a virtual tour and for sharing at our party at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/04/titanic-movie-costumes-on-display-at.html

Fun60 said...

How interesting (and gruesome).

DUTA said...

I'm always excited at an archeological site. Graves with personal and household objects are of particular interest to me as its based on people's strange belief that they'll need these items in afterlife.

K V V S MURTHY said...

The steps look scary ..must be of gory details.Great pics with needed coverage.

Lady Fi said...

How fascinating!

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

This is indeed a great place. With interesting history as well. I haven't been to Guatemala and I hope I can come and visit soon

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, wow, Sharon, I'm almost jealous...long ago and far away I studied archaeology and anthropology in college. I didn't graduate, so I don't have a degree in either, but I have always had a warm place for Mayan ruins in my heart. I was able to visit Chichenitza in the Yucatan twice...once when I was young enough to climb to the top of the pyramid, and once when I was too old to do it and climbers were no longer allowed anyway!
Now, I am impressed with your knowledge, photographs and descriptions of Iximche. And even though I can't get around anywhere very quickly any more I, like you, also love Costa Rica. (Another place on my bucket list is Belize.)
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

likeschocolate said...

So cool! Thanks for the adventure! And what an adventure you are having! Have a great weekend!

Linda Hensley said...

When I think of how crazy people are these days, maybe I'll remember that people back then had a blood receptacle. Yeeks. I love going on trips with you. No blisters or heat stroke :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This is all amazing Sharon....just to imagine you watching that ceremony takes my breath away. I’m so glad you share your adventures with us....I learn more about the world on every visit.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That blood hole is pretty bizarre! A really interesting place and culture. Thanks for sharing!

Pat Tillett said...

I would love to visit this place!
Great post Sharon.