Monday, July 24, 2017

The Atlanta Botanical Garden


I've flown through Atlanta for years, never stopping to do a darn thing. Well, now I have. We spent a dreamy morning at the Atlanta Botanical Garden designed by Adam Schwerner. Wow! He did a fantastic job combining nature art and the real thing. Plus, there was a bonus...the Dale Chihuly glass sculptures were simply amazing. 









I tried so hard to get a mocking bird photo while in Georgia. I'm not sure if this even is one. It might be a cat bird. But boy, we enjoyed listening to the mockingbird's prolific copy cat repertoire while in Georgia.



No need to sit alone.




The chains mimic dripping vines in a jungle. 



My absolute favorite installation was the old chandeliers dripping with bromeliads and orchids, big and small. I felt awestruck.






The orchid room was a visual feast. It really can't be replicated on film. As with everything in the garden, you need to experience it in person.





Those are spray painted trees!



And a lovely lady...a real Georgia peach.

Go ahead. Leave the airport. 

The Awesome Links:


19 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

Beautiful! I can't get over the bright green moss and the frog on the bench! :)

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What a place and gorgeous nature photography and so colorful too ~ ^_^

A Colorful World said...

Awesome photos, Sharon! What a wonderful botanical garden!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Chihuly really does his best with gardens. I'm about to put the Atlanta garden on my bucket list.

colleen said...

Fantatic. Love the hanging crystal and the colored tubes after it.

DJan said...

Wow! I immediately recognized the Chihuly glass sculpture, but all the rest, especially the lovely Georgia peach, were a first for me. Thanks for sharing all this with me! :-)

Marti said...

Great photos! I love to visit botanical gardens and those chandeliers are amazing. Was it terribly hot there during your visit?

Findlay Wilde said...

That looks like an amazing place to visit. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Breathtaking said...

Hello1:) What lovely gardens and I love all the brightly coloured ornaments and the frog sculpture. Whatever the bird is, it's pretty.:)

Andrea said...

WE wee wonderful garden arrangements only during garden shows, as we cannot afford a botanical garden like those. That is a hybrid of natural and modern structures. But i love most the last one, a lady whose hair is flowing with different colored plants, oh so lovely

betty-NZ said...

Good for you for doing something different! What a wonderful place to spend some time. Lovely artwork.

Photo Cache said...

This garden is a destination. How beautiful everything is.

Worth a Thousand Words

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What a cool spot!! I think so many people are like you... Atlanta is just a connection, and they never leave the airport (I'm guilty as charged!). Cool how they mix hanging plants with chandeliers!

Linda Hensley said...

Looks like a spectacular way to spend a day!

Lady Fi said...

What a wonderful place. I love that lady in the last shot.

Stewart M said...

Great shots - there is often much more than just plants in Botanic Gardens these days.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourn

Ruth said...

I like to visit gardens but this one is in its own league. Wow! I can barely handle the first and last photos. I need to go back to Atlanta. #TPThursday

Pat Tillett said...

Gorgeous photos Sharon! I have never spent any time in Atlanta either (except in the airport). Maybe I need to make it a point to visit the area. This looks like a must-see place.

Budget Travel Talk said...

Fantastical and magical, what more can I say. Thank you for linking up with Travel Photo Thursday.