Monday, January 27, 2014

I'm cuckoo for Costa Rica

click to enlarge

It was the first morning of our 2010 trip.   A sunny beginning to another bird and monkey filled extravaganza.  And the first bird we saw was a new one.  The Squirrel Cuckoo.  I also had an assignment on this trip.  To write and illustrate in a journal that would be sent to the Brooklyn Art Library for Art House Co-op.  The theme was Over the Top.  (I've posted this set of illustrated poems before.  Many times.  But I don't think I've ever posted the inspiration bird photo. At the very least it will be new to Wild Bird Wednesday fans.) I went right back to our cabana and started writing.  I hope you'll enlarge the illustrations and read along. 


click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I've used this selection as a header.  I also used this image on business cards.  It is an old favorite.

click to enlarge

The end!

P.S.  Please pop over to the Tomie dePaola Contest to see my entry for the theme Sneeze.  It will blow you away I promise!
Hint...it's at the bottom of the page.

And for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday




9 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I loved reading about how a real bird inspired your poem and illustrations. They're beautiful! I enjoyed seeing your "sneeze" illustration, too. Such a sweet interpretation! :-)

Lynn said...

My goodness there are a lot of entries in the Sneeze contest, yours is very very sweet! It is neat to see the inspirational Squirrel Cuckoo.
Love your series, cute story and such cute characters.

Pat Tillett said...

I'm off to follow the link!
That was pretty darn cute Sharon. Lot's of talented folks. Of the entries I looked at, I like yours the best...

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We love your illustrations and your story!
love
tweedles

Dave said...

Brilliant stuff, and how talented you are.
PS: I just love the Squirrel Cuckoo, I saw them in Venezuela, such a fantastic bird.

TexWisGirl said...

marvelous bird! i think cuckoos are such neat birds.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the cuckoos. Your photo capture is great. And your art work is cool.

Anonymous said...

Fun seeing the inspiration and the result! I loved both. And reading about the creative process!

Esther Joy said...

"Just another day in paradise" made me think about the many blessings we overlook each day because they become so common place to us. Enjoyed your artwork!