Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Comfort Food


I decided to post a couple comfort food recipes.  The rice dish I remember from my childhood.  My Mom would make it for company and family potlucks. It always got rave reviews.  Because it is rich, buttery and cheesy.  

And the meatloaf is a new recipe.  It is a little different. It has some veggies in it!  Healthy, but still tasty. 

Broccoli Rice Hot dish

1 stick melted butter
2 boxes frozen Green Giant cheesy broccoli
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup (or full fat. I'm not your doctor)
1 cup raw white rice
 Sharp shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the rice according to the package instructions.  Then put in a large mixing bowl.  Add the melted butter, thawed broccoli and soup.  Bake for around 45 minutes.  Then remove from the oven and add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese (however much you like) and bake for 10-15 more minutes.  Easy!

*My mom always used a jar of velvetta and a bag of frozen broccoli instead of the boxes of cheesy broccoli.  You could also use fresh broccoli and any kind of processed cheese.

Turkey Meatloaf

1 slice whole wheat bread
1/3 cup low fat milk
1 small onion
1 rib celery
1 carrot
3 garlic cloves
2 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large mixing bowl soak the bread and milk. 
Place all the veggies in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to the bread bowl.

Add the turkey, 1/4 cup of ketchup, egg, sauce, salt and pepper. Mix gently with your hands.  

In a shallow baking pan create a 10x5 inch oval loaf.  Spread with remaining ketchup.  Bake for 50 minutes

*I used ground chicken instead of turkey.  And next time I would go back to my normal carb element.  Oats instead of bread. I also used less salt.  It was good.  But the next day I grilled a piece in olive oil and made a sandwich with a grilled potato roll.  Even better.


3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Wow, these dishes look good! I'm not a talented cook, but that rice and broccoli dish looks delicious and pretty easy. I don't eat meat anymore, but when I did, meat loaf was a favorite. These foods really do comfort!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

thank you , thank you- we have been wanting a brocklie -rice recipe- and this sounds good.
love
tweedles

Creations By Mit said...

OK. I'm not a meatloaf kinda girl, but I have to thank you, because every time I read your blog, I think of that awesome chicken you did for They Draw & Cook, and have made it one of my goals for 2013 to submit something to that website! If not for you, I'd never have learned about it, thus no goal! :)