Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yummy Chow Mein Hotdish


Thanks to the fried onions, this hotdish actually looks tasty.  Food photography is hard! Here goes another double or triple hotdish recipe. 

First cook the rice according to the package directions.  I use 1 cup raw white rice and 1/2 cup raw wild rice.  The wild rice takes quite awhile to cook so I usually make extra and freeze it for the next time I need it in a recipe.  Now saute 1 pound ground beef , 2-4 stalks of chopped celery and 1 diced onion until browned. Drain. 

Add the cooked beef mixture and both rice varieties to a large mixing bowl.  Now add 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 can drained mushrooms and 1 can cream of celery and 1 can cream of mushroom soup.  I sometimes add cream of chicken/mushroom. And I usually use at least 1 can of reduced fat and low sodium soup. That's it.

  It will make two -three smaller hotdishes.  I bake one and freeze one.  Bake at 350 for around 30-45 minutes uncovered. (1-1&1/2 hours for a frozen hotdish) Then add the most important ingredient.  French's Fried Onions.  Then Bake until brown.  My Mom used to make a similar chow mein hotdish.  She would always bring it to family potlucks.  My Dad was such a picky eater that he would only eat my Mom's food!  She always used fried chow mein noodles on top.  But the fried onions make it even yummier!     


Sprinkle on some cracked pepper and Kikkoman Soy Sauce and enjoy.

2 comments:

Marilia said...

I´m very very hungry now!

Joreina Blanco said...

This makes me hungry!