Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole

This is a fabulous and super yummy recipe.  I love tomatillos.  My favorite meal with tomatillos used to be found at the now defunct Sidney's.  Fiesta Chicken.  Sniff.  The good old days.  But today I started by removing the husks and rinsing a farmer's market basket full of the tart fruit/veggie.  But the recipe calls for 2 lbs.


You'll also need:

1 white onion, quartered
1-3 jalapeno peppers (or other), halved and seeded


Lay these veggies out on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for 7-10 minutes.  (Turning the veggies over midway through)

Drop the broiled veggies into a blender.  Add...

A handful of cilantro
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 sliced garlic clove
1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (I used more)

Blend until combined.  Then add 1/2 cup sour cream and blend until combined.

For filling:

2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1-2 cups Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup of tomatillo sauce from the blender...mix



Heat 12 flour tortillas (or soft corn, but they will be smaller) in a frying pan or on a baking sheet in the oven until soft and pliable.  Fill and place in an oiled baking dish with a 1/3 cup of the tomatillo sauce on the bottom.   

Pour the remaining sauce over the top.

And bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.

Cook's note:  I only made 6 enchiladas.  And froze 1/2 the sauce for later.  So I divided and froze my sauce before I added the sour cream.  And only used 1/4 cup.  I halved the filling mixture.

I sprinkled some fresh Mexican cheese over the top.  And of course added some Marie Sharpe's!  So good.

3 comments:

Rita said...

Wow, this looks amazing!

DJan said...

Your pictures and description make it sound FABULOUS! :-)

Pat Tillett said...

Oh YUM! I'm most certainly going to try this one out!