Friday, May 11, 2012

A Kernel of Truth

click to enlarge

I decided to post my Beloved Moon illustration for the www.illustrationfriday.com theme Kernel.  I created this piece for a show at the Owatonna Arts Center here in Minnesota. It is on the grounds of an historic Orphanage.  The young lady in the image is gazing at the Moon and longing for the Mother she never knew.  There is a kernel of truth to this illustration. I might be too old to be an orphan.  But I certainly feel like one.  I did this illustration several years ago.  But even then I was thinking about my Mom.  I put her childhood hero on the poster hanging over the bed.  Roy Rogers.  

Here's her childhood lunch box.  I was lucky enough to have my Mom growing up.  But now she is gone. If I look up at the Moon I can imagine her riding horses up in Heaven.  And probably with good ole Roy Rogers himself!

Happy Mother's Day.
     

18 comments:

Cindy D. said...

Quite a lovely illustration. I really like the white fringe on the bedspread, and the little night table with the clock and lamp. She does look a little sad. (I wish the world was a happier place for everyone!)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Such a beautiful illustration!
I understand how you feel attatchments to this painting,, it says a lot.
I am sure your mom is riding horses with Roy Rogers,, on those heavenly happy trails.
love
tweedles

Wanda..... said...

Truly a lovely meaningful creation, Sharon. Love the little detail of the foot on the rail causing wrinkles in the bedspread.

DJan said...

Happy Mother's Day to all moms and children of moms everywhere. My mother is gone, too, and both of my children, but I'm still celebrating Mother's Day! Love the picture, Sharon. :-)

Mary Lou Rosato-Caine said...

A beautiful sentiment about your mom. Very nice illustration! Love the visual of the moon :)

roberto M. said...

nice illustration! Congratulations!

laura kay said...

how (bitter) sweet

Ana M.F. said...

I love the textures and the retro style in this illustration, the girl makes me think of an older Dorothy from the wizard of Oz :)

Pat Tillett said...

Love your drawing! That lunch box is a classic. It's nice that you still have it.

Indigene said...

Beautiful illustration and sentiment! :)

Abby said...

This is a very touching illustration. I love all the little details you've included - the quilt, the clock, the lamp, and maybe especially the poster. It really is worth a thousand words! Congratulations on pick of the week!

Rita said...

Yay Sharon! So fun to be pick of the week!! Lovely illustration, made all the more beautiful by it's meaning. Thanks for sharing it.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

This is a wonderful illo. Congrats on being the IF pick of the week!!

JS DANIEL said...

What a lovely heartfelt illustration! Congrats.

Linda Hensley said...

Woo hoo!! Congrats on being pick of the week!!!

highjumper said...

I love how richly detailed it is - so much to see! Beautiful.

JS DANIEL said...

Thanks a lot! I just sent an email for joining Monday Artday. Cant wait to submit my work.

Koosje Koene said...

It's a lovely illustration and a beautiful sentiment. A wll deserved pick of the week on illustration friday, if you ask me. Congratulations!