Lover's Key State Park has been my favorite beach since childhood. I remember fondly the cool mornings when we would sneak in before dawn. We were on a mission to find sea shells. You never knew what mysterious gifts the tide would unfurl. First, you would cross the wooden tidal bridges that connect the key to the mainland. The sun just a blush on the horizon. Then, with flash lights in hand you would search the shore for precious jewels. At least they were to me!
By the time you reached the end of the key the sun was high enough to warm your back on the return. I usually had a bag of conchs, tulips and cat's eyes. And the rest of the day to picnic, sun tan and watch for raccoons. They would steal your lunch if you weren't careful. And the sea gulls would get the rest.
Now days I'm happy to simply photograph someone else's shells. And stroll...
But Lover's Key holds more than shells and sunshine. Birds like this osprey love it too.
They were hard at work feeding their young.
I love the pop up head!
I also love how their head feathers blow around in the breeze. Majestic.
A white egret standing tough.
Lover's Key has changed over the years. You probably can't sneak in anymore. And the old wooden tidal walkways are now wide and strong enough for long trams. It's not quite so rustic and wild. But still better than a beach lined with condos and restaurants. The good old and new days.
And I'm giving a shout out to my friend Danielle who was at the beach with us on this day. Hi Danielle! We will have to do this again this year! See you soon. Siesta Key this time.
P.S. I thought I'd share two new links. http://www.365daysofbirds.com/ A Minnesota bird blog. The blog title says it all. And...
I recently read this book and I highly recommend it for bird lovers. Michele Raffin tells a humorous, heart felt and engaging tale of her life among the exotic and endangered!
Bonus Random 5 Friday tidbits
1) I missed Random 5 Friday! I love that I can do some creative writing. Or post what ever trips my trigger.
2) My birthday is March 1st. My age? None of your business.
3) My father in law Jim and my Dad Sidney both have a birthday on March 10. Go figure. Happy Birthday Jim. See you soon!
4) I have a date with Harry Potter in March. Do you know where?
He wrote it in sea shells!
5) My husband proposed to me on the beach at Lover's Key State Park. We were shelling early in the morning. I was on a mission to find shells. Oblivious. Meanwhile, he dropped behind. Then, on the way back he popped the question. And look what he did! He wrote it with sea shells. He knew Lover's Key would be the perfect place. It was.
Plus, if you missed last week's Scarlet Macaw photos, don't forget to scroll down!