Just a simple goose and gosling for Wild Bird Wednesday . You always know when you run into a wild goose on the trail by how fast they swim away from you. And these two were wild. Unlike all the city geese that populate our lakes here in Minneapolis. I spotted this pair at Murphy Hanrehan Park Reserve this spring. My first gosling spotting of the season.
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Monday, May 27, 2013
I just love this photo. It's my Uncle Jim pulling my Dad into the Wedding chapel. I think my Dad is just pretending to have jitters. I think.
My Uncle Jim passed away a couple weeks ago. He was so popular and beloved with his family and the whole community. Mostly because of his humor. And the fact that he would be friend anyone and everyone. His memorial was filled to the rafters. His laughter is gone now. He sure will be missed.
In memory of my Uncle Jim and Dad Sidney on this Memorial Day.
Friday, May 24, 2013
My top 5 quotes from Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
1) A Dothraki wedding without at least 3 deaths is considered a dull affair. (my favorite)
2) Winter is coming.
3) The night is dark and full of terrors.
4) A Lannister always pays his debts.
5) Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Polliver, Chiswyck, Raff the Sweetling, The Tickler and the Hound, Ser Amory, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffery, Queen Cersei (The heroine Arya would whisper these names into her pillow every night. To remember exactly who she needed to kill)
Now try to forget all the murders and have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone!
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
I spotted a Grandpa at Rookery Bay in Florida this year. A.K.A. Wood Stork. My in laws call them Grandpas. And they should know. They live in Florida. I agree that they have a wise and grizzled old man quality!
To see more of my hummingbird photos visit my Liquid Diet post. Slurp.
And for more birds and maybe some Grandmas visit Wild Bird Wednesday
Saturday, May 18, 2013
I was inspired by my Wild Bird Wednesday post last week to explore some of my favorite feeder shots. I picked these 4 because each one has a different bird on it. Then the Illustration Friday theme liquid seeped into my brain, so I added one of my hummingbird illustrations into the mix. Who can resist a little sugar syrup? Not me.
And not this Kinkajou either. All of these images were taken in the cloud forest of Montverde in Costa Rica. (the illustration is from my studio!) It is so fun to stand in the midst of the whirling, buzzing hoard of hungry hummers. And a certain someone who doesn't belong. And I don't mean the tourists!
Friday, May 17, 2013
5 Random Squirrel thoughts...
1) This isn't the time for flipping photos B*%$&!
2) If you let me out I won't raid the bird feeder ever again. Hee, hee. Evil Snicker. (Humans are so stupid)
3) I'd rather be inside a pumpkin. At least I could eat my way out.
4) There isn't even any bird seed in here. Tight wads.
5) Are you look'in at me?
P.S. This is a real photo and isn't photoshopped. The squirrel was able to lift the lid and climb inside. But the reverse was not so easy!
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Let's face it. It is hard to get hummingbird shots that do not involve red syrup and plastic flower pods. So the feederless ones that have a tropical background are cherished by me. This one is taken near a feeder at a Butterfly sanctuary in Belize. In Central America Hummingbird feeders are like rush hour in America. The birds zoom and whirl around your head like little helicopters. It really is an amazing experience. But even with all those birds it is still hard to snap one on a branch. They go a mile a minute. I wish I knew what kind this red beaked one is. If anyone can enlighten me please do.
And for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday
Monday, May 13, 2013
I'm afraid that this might be a boring continuation of last Monday's post. But here are more Kenny 365 photos. It is not always easy to come up with a new photo 365 days a year. Luckily I only have to capture Fridays. The top photo is the first bloom on one of my orchid plants. I have two and now I have 30 blooms and counting. Orchids are so amazing.
Here are more photos in no particular order.
A buffet of bird feeders
A Christmas collage
A sad day in America
Better Than Flamingos
Friday, May 10, 2013
Oscar the cat
5 random true or false statements about good old Oscar from the beautiful Hicatee Cottages in Belize (the answers are at the end)
1) Oscar got his name from his golden color. Kind of like the naked statues at the big Hollywood hoopla awards.
2) Oscar once came home wearing a tarantula on his back.
3) Oscar dictates where breakfast will be served to tourists. Depending on where he takes his cat naps.
4) Oscar loves to sneak into guest rooms and hide underneath your covers. Surprise!
5) Oscar almost got killed by a Boa Constrictor. He used up another life on that one!
1) False 2) True Just another day in the jungle! 3) True 4) False 5) True The Boa had him constricted around the gut and was trying to eat him by a back foot. His owners heard the commotion and luckily fended off the Boa with a broom. (I think) By this time Oscar had passed out. But afterwards Oscar suddenly drew a breath, looked around and got up. He was pretty sore for awhile though!
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
I just can't believe this photo. And no, I didn't photoshop the neck! It's all egret. Fish have a long slide down that gullet. I have a lot of elegant egret photos. I snapped this at Lover's Key State Park in Florida. But this one has the honor of being the funniest.
Visit more feathered friends at Paying Ready Attention
Monday, May 6, 2013
By now most of you probably already know about the community photo project I'm involved in. I had a little fun in the backyard with the top photo. The scoop is I take a photo each week somewhere in the Kenny neighborhood where I live. A photo is posted on our website 365 days a year. That is a lot of photos. Here are a few more of mine...
The only gator you'll find in our neck of the woods.
How long has this dude been sitting here????
A new Moon.
A new dried Fall bouquet.
A public hanging. There goes the neighborhood.
Do you see the skyscraper weed?
Someone has been chewing this pumpkin. Hmmm. Who would do a thing like that?
A wooden star.
My crafty purse sewing project.
My first book made the cut!
My inlaws Jim and Patt!
P.S. I just passed 50,000 blog visits. Hooray!
Friday, May 3, 2013
5 random reasons this dog might have undies in his mouth.
1) He just finished playing strip poker. He lost.
2) His owner ran out of sticks and newspaper. And was multi-tasking on laundry day.
3) He is going to cross a stream and doesn't want to get them wet. (This seems smart)
4) He confused bacon strips with begg'in strips.
5) The dog needs to buy more under wear. And since he is unable to write down or remember his size he is taking them to the store for good measure.
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
click to enlarge
I've been having so much fun linking up to Paying Ready Attention. And I've been learning a lot too. Now I know that this White Ibis is displaying breeding colors with the red face and legs. Or at least I think so. What I know for sure is that I love this photo mostly because of the background. And where it was taken. At Lover's Key State Park. My favorite Florida Beach. There is nothing I like better than snapping photos with my swimsuit on and my feet in the sand. And this Ibis posed so nicely for me.
For a little laugh check out last Friday's If I had bird feet... post. What would you do if you had bird feet?